Proper muzzleloader length for fast reloading? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket >

Proper muzzleloader length for fast reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The rifles were fired from rest the long barrel also aided resting on tree limbs etc. When inspecting originals you will often find the rear sight has moved forward and rear ward many times. This was done to compassionate for aging eyes. The longer barrel was also considered to be more efficient with black powder.
Many of these rifles had the barrels shortened as the hunters moved from the forest to the plains. The horse changed the long arms of the day.
Good info, thanks!

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 03-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #22

Liked 3621 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

I think we may have added another aspect to "the perfect woman", she can reload your muzzleloader in 5 seconds flat!! (pun intended!)

Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #23

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
I think we may have added another aspect to "the perfect woman", she can reload your muzzleloader in 5 seconds flat!! (pun intended!)
Always a good quality

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #24

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
...The art of speed loading any muzzle loader was to simply pour the powder don't measure and spit a naked ball down the bore. Men like Wetzel could and did load their flint locks on a dead run.
I know it can be done -- Daniel Day-Lewis did it in Last of the Mohicans!

Seriously, it was a common emergency practice to dump your powder down the 'bess, drop a loose ball, smack the gun butt-down into the ground where some of the powder trickled into the pan through the enlarged vent-hole and you fire after seconds!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #25
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I know it can be done -- Daniel Day-Lewis did it in Last of the Mohicans!

Seriously, it was a common emergency practice to dump your powder down the 'bess, drop a loose ball, smack the gun butt-down into the ground where some of the powder trickled into the pan through the enlarged vent-hole and you fire after seconds!
I think I read somewhere that the really good british soldier could fire 3 rounds a minute using this method. They used a premeasured paper cartridge though. The cartridge had perforated line around the powder end with a paper "tail" that protruded from it. The soldier took the cartridge from his pouch grasped the tail in his teeth and tore the end of the cartridge off, poured a little in the priming pan, closed the frizzen, poured the rest down the barrel followed by the ball slammed the butt of the musket on the ground a time or two, cocked and fired. This was a smooth bore " brown bess" musket, not a rifle.

As for the Last of the Mohicans (great movie, way better book, read it). I suppose that with a lot of practice you could "time" a pour of powder directly from your horn into the rifle and be somewhat sure how much powder you poured in but I think accuracy would be erratic with that method. I think most of the people carried a measure attached to thier horn, it would only take an extra 4 or 5 seconds to pour into a measure then into the barrel and the resulting precision would be well worth it.

I am by no means an expert on this but I know that unmesured powder charges can sometimes cause bad things to happen.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:53 AM   #26

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

They really did not care how much powder they poured on the run. The idea was to turn on your purser and shoot. This was intended to be a surprise leaving dead or wounded on the field. They would also carry the balls in their mouth. They would spit more than one down the barrel.
The balls used were much smaller to the bore than we shoot today. They also had arms with out vents, large holes were bored from the pan to the breech. The Buffalo runners often blew the barrels of there smooth guns loading on horse back with this method.
Daniel Day Lewis actually had training from a BP shooter and was able to load and fire on the run. Lewis lived in the woods alone as well preparing for the movie. The rifle he used is doubtful. We really don't know of rifles that were used this early. It is thought the indians may have had a few short "Yeager" style rifles. The American Long Rifle appears after the French & Indian Wars.