Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Proper muzzleloader length for fast reloading? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/proper-muzzleloader-length-fast-reloading-86028/)

Scratchammo 03-08-2013 12:15 AM

Proper muzzleloader length for fast reloading?

At what total length should a custom muzzleloader be to ease in fast reloading? If you were to stand it up straight against you, should it come below, to the bottom, or to center of your sternum?

mountainman13 03-08-2013 12:43 AM

You really thing a difference of 3" is going to effect reloading time? Fast reloading comes with practice and premeasured loads.
Rushed reloading leads to accidents anyway. It is better to be steady and safe.

orangello 03-08-2013 12:44 AM

It would seem that the shorter the barrel, the easier it would be to manipulate the ramrod. I can load my little sidelock pistol VERY quickly.

Now the optimum length would probably have more to do with your height and how high up you could reach to pull the ramrod out of the barrel when reloading.

Just my opinion, and i am no expert.

303tom 03-08-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchammo (Post 1167867)
At what total length should a custom muzzleloader be to ease in fast reloading? If you were to stand it up straight against you, should it come below, to the bottom, or to center of your sternum?

There is no such thing as a proper muzzleloader length for fast reloading...........

Scratchammo 03-08-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 303tom (Post 1168185)
There is no such thing as a proper muzzleloader length for fast reloading...........

Not at the moment.

HockaLouis 03-08-2013 11:28 AM

I would think where you don't have to bring your arms up above your elbows but I know folk who swear a Bess is faster to load than a trade gun... They subscribe to "longer is better" which I personally don't like the idea of!
:o

303tom 03-08-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1168392)
I would think where you don't have to bring your arms up above your elbows but I know folk who swear a Bess is faster to load than a trade gun... They subscribe to "longer is better" which I personally don't like the idea of!
:o

That right there is what I am talking about................I like a shorter rifle.

Shoop 03-08-2013 04:33 PM

You can make paper cartridges to speed up the process a bit.

orangello 03-08-2013 06:26 PM

I thought about this a bit last night. I think that the best height for the top of the barrel from the ground, with the rifle standing straight up, is the height at which the arc of my right arm allows me to insert and remove the ramrod and pack the charge without having to adjust my grip on my ramrod. Belt buckle level seems about the minimum height for the top of the barrel, while bottom of my ribcage seems about the max comfortable height. I am 6'1"+- an inch with a 36" inseam on jeans, so my perfect barrel height would vary some from people of different heights, much like the height of our perspective dream flatheaded, midget waitresses/servers/hookers.

HockaLouis 03-09-2013 12:57 AM

I wonder how many people will get that reference Orange...