Powdered sugar ? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Powdered sugar ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,421
Liked 1035 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Default

At best.....

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

All the ingredients to make fine black powder are available at Lowe's or Home Despot in their garden centers. Powdered sulphur is sprinkled on plants; stump remover is 100% pure potassium nitrate; and you can either buy a small piece of pine (preferably w/o knots) or use pine sawdust to make charcoal. Just put some soft, dry wood in a metal can with a metal lid and "cook" it in your wood stove to produce charcoal. There you have it---the major ingredients. Check out some of the excellent videos on YouTube for making black powder.

Higher quality ingredients can be found here: http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72&zenid=phj4dkiur do3e68rh6j2ftr3e3

__________________
SleazyRider is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heidelberg,MS
Posts: 1,409
Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
you can either buy a small piece of pine (preferably w/o knots) or use pine sawdust to make charcoal. Just put some soft, dry wood in a metal can with a metal lid and "cook" it in your wood stove to produce charcoal.

Pine might be good for a light show but willow makes the best bp.
__________________

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Hawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:24 AM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Pine might be good for a light show but willow makes the best bp.
So true. But ask a "sales associate" at BLowes or Home Despot for some willow and let us know what he says.
__________________
SleazyRider is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Buy wood? Just buy the powder then. Around here, willow grows like weeds. I know not everyone lives in such a wetland rich state though.

A bundle of twigs as long and thick as your arm should yield enough powder to last long enough to forget the recipe if you don't have it written down. Unless you shoot quite a lot.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Buy wood? Just buy the powder then. Around here, willow grows like weeds. I know not everyone lives in such a wetland rich state though.

A bundle of twigs as long and thick as your arm should yield enough powder to last long enough to forget the recipe if you don't have it written down. Unless you shoot quite a lot.
Agreed. And if you choose not to dirty your hands or go through the fuss of producing charcoal, it is cheaply available via the link I provided above.

I'm no cheapskate, but the minimum order for BP and associated hazmat fees make buying black powder difficult.
__________________
SleazyRider is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,421
Liked 1035 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Default

Quote:
BLowes or Home Despot
LOL!

Quote:
Agreed. And if you choose not to dirty your hands or go through the fuss of producing charcoal, it is cheaply available via the link I provided above.

I'm no cheapskate, but the minimum order for BP and associated hazmat fees make buying black powder difficult.
I can buy Goex at my local hardware store 10 min. down the street. Another source of chemicals is sky lighter.com. I have done business with them several times, no problem.

I'd like to know: Has anyone actually, PERSONALLY made charcoal, and then made BP from it, and then used it to shoot a gun?
__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willshoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houma, La.,La.
Posts: 5,436
Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default

MRE.....Coffe creamer.......................

__________________

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

willshoum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SRK97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 802
Liked 306 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum
mre.....coffe creamer.......................


image-2306361044.jpg

........
__________________

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

SRK97 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,421
Liked 1035 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Default

What about coffee creamer? It's another ingredient in pyrotechnics used to make "Cremora Fireballs" AKA fuel-air fireball, or if contained, a fuel-air explosion. The kind you can get in the supermarket will work, too. Not the easiest thing to make......

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Sugar in Bullets? Justasking Ammunition & Reloading 14 01-26-2010 09:14 PM