Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   powder charges for Uberti 36 cal. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/powder-charges-uberti-36-cal-27807/)

lukeisme 06-02-2010 02:19 AM

powder charges for Uberti 36 cal.

I was shooting an uberti 36 cal 1851 navy for the first time today. I was shooting 20 grains of powder and it felt like it had no recoil and sounded weak. I know it had some because the caps fell off. So there are my two concerns. What is the correct powder load and the caps are #10 so are there smaller caps for these. I have no documentation from the manufacturer so I am guessing here. Any suggestions I would love to hear.

ofitg 06-02-2010 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeisme (Post 293522)
I was shooting an uberti 36 cal 1851 navy for the first time today. I was shooting 20 grains of powder and it felt like it had no recoil and sounded weak. I know it had some because the caps fell off. So there are my two concerns. What is the correct powder load and the caps are #10 so are there smaller caps for these. I have no documentation from the manufacturer so I am guessing here. Any suggestions I would love to hear.

As long as you stick with blackpowder, it's virtually impossible to blow up a modern percussion revolver. The chambers in the cylinder only hold so much. Use a heavier powder charge if you want to, as long as you can still seat the ball properly on top.

I thought #11 caps were pretty much standard for C&B revolvers.... if a cap slides on/off too easily, you can pinch it out-of-round....

EDIT - I just thought of something that could be hazardous - it might be possible to blow up a C&B revolver if you don't have the ball seated all the way down on top of the powder. Air spaces are bad. I guess I should have said, "...it's virtually impossible to overload a modern percussion revolver".

Sagetown 06-04-2010 06:28 PM

Hello lukeisme:
The required load for the Uberti .36 cal. 1851 Navy Revolver is 18 gr of FFFg black powder; a .36 cal revolver wad; a .376 round ball; and a #11 size percussion cap.

The #11 size percussion caps fit loosly on both Pietta, and Uberti revolvers, that's why they need a little pinch between the fingers and thumb so they'll snug up against the tapered wall of the nipple.

To save you time and money on experimenting with the various brands of caps. The Remington #10 percussion caps fit better than any, and have plenty of ignition to prevent FTF's.

The most important issue with the Remingtion's is that they have a longer cup to seat down on the snow-cone shaped nipples. Therefore a little effort is needed to insure they are seated flat against the end of the nipples.

Black Powder revolvers are mild shooting handguns. I have the 1860 Army .44 cals, and they don't kick at all. Now the .44 calibers in a Walker style stuffed to the gills w/bp might buck some, but you're mostly wasting powder .

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/F...bleyerfun1.jpg

Hawg 06-04-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ofitg (Post 293568)
As long as you stick with blackpowder, it's virtually impossible to blow up a modern percussion revolver. The chambers in the cylinder only hold so much. Use a heavier powder charge if you want to, as long as you can still seat the ball properly on top.

I thought #11 caps were pretty much standard for C&B revolvers.... if a cap slides on/off too easily, you can pinch it out-of-round....

If it's a brass frame don't go over 20. It won't blow up but it will beat itself to death pretty quickly. Your first warning will be seeing the imprint of the cylinder ratchet in the recoil shield. #10 caps are standard revolver caps. Try different brands, not all are made to the same specs.

zeskullmaster 06-05-2010 01:20 AM

I have a 36 cal. and a couple 44 cal. cap & ball revolvers I dont use # 11 caps I use @10 on my pistols and I use # 11 on my rifles the #10 caps fit snug and tight I also put a rubber cap ring on each cap the are nothing more then a pink rubber tube that slips around each cap these seem to help prevent the copper from the caps from jamming the cylinder from rotating . These are very cheap I pick up a packet of the pink ribber rings each time I buy a pack of #10 caps each comes in hundred counts each sure does work good for me I still get a miss fire from a cap now and then I mean who gets a perfect shot every time they shoot a bunch of rounds ? I would say I get a miss fire or a jam 2 out of 20 shots . I also dont get much in the way of copper shrapnel from the caps with these rubbers as well I tried # 11 caps on my pistols and found them not really good for some one who might carry his or her revolver in a holster as the cap sometimes come off or are to loose So I recomend trying the #10's and see for yourself .. Just so you know I shoot on average one to two hundred rounds a week in the summer .. so I aint no rookie at this LOL. I have also been shooting in Alaska and Washington state for all types of climate from freezing to desert heat ......

ofitg 06-05-2010 03:45 AM

Thanks, that was educational for me too. Whenever I've been shopping for caps, I always grabbed #11...... maybe I better try something new!

I didn't even know that Uberti made .36 brass-framed 1851's......

Hawg 06-05-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ofitg (Post 295110)
Thanks, that was educational for me too. Whenever I've been shopping for caps, I always grabbed #11...... maybe I better try something new!

I didn't even know that Uberti made .36 brass-framed 1851's......

Uberti doesn't, I was just being general in case somebody with a brass frame read your post. Uberti did make a brass framed 51 in .44 in the early days. I guess they quit doing it when they found out they weren't historically correct.

ofitg 06-05-2010 04:21 PM

Yeah, that's good advice for people with brass-framed revolvers. I remember owning a brass-framed .44 Navy back in the 1970's, but I can't recall who made it.

Actually, if I had given the matter more thought, I probably should have told the OP that the .36 Colt essentially duplicates the ballistics of the .380 ACP cartridge..... but with the long barrel and 2 pounds of weight, the "shooting experience" is considerably milder than what he might have been accustomed to with modern centerfire handguns.

lukeisme 06-05-2010 08:30 PM

Thank you guys!!! All the info really helped out much more pleasent to shoot now!!!