Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Ordered a new Pieta 1851 Confederate Navy .44 Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
I used to have one. Make sure your screws don't loosen themselves as the pistol is fired. I'm not sure if that's an issue anymore with recent production but it's something to check for.
If they do a little blue loctite will fix that. Do not use red it will take heat to removed them if you do.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #12

Big I was doing a little recon in the CFO's closet and found I will be getting one for Christmas, any update?

2B1ASK1

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Old 12-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #13
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1778 Times on 1014 Posts
Likes Given: 3562

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcso617 View Post
Big I was doing a little recon in the CFO's closet and found I will be getting one for Christmas, any update?
I got all the goodies in, just need the time to shoot. The boss in charge found it! Next range time, I will take both new pistols for some fun! Last time, I went to the range, the wind was nasty, was not worth it on the firing line!

I found locally the blackpowder FFFg cheaper, the percussion caps is a trade off.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys I have been told by much older and much wiser men to steer clear of pyrodex, claiming it has something in it called percets (sp) that are harder on your gun and much dirtier than black powder any day. If you must ue soeting other than real black power use te 777, bu Ibuy my bp on the net, I just like the way it smells. That said I have one of Cabela's Pietta '51 pistols in .44 with the brass frame and a 5 1/2" bbl, I like the 5 1/2" bbl and have two '60 Colts and two '58 Remengton pistols that I love to shoot. The best one I own are a pair of Ruger old army .45's, but even though they shoot the bst they both have the 7 1/2" bbl, guess I will just have to breakdown and get a pair of the newer old army pistols with the shorter bbls. You will like the '51 b cap and ball, just always clean it good wth soap and water after each time you shoot.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:02 AM   #15

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnorton View Post
Hey guys I have been told by much older and much wiser men to steer clear of pyrodex, claiming it has something in it called percets (sp) that are harder on your gun and much dirtier than black powder any day.
Not true. I've been shooting bp since 1969 and now I use Pyro exclusively and have for years. It's no harder or worse than real bp. I live in the humid South and I left a 58 Remington uncleaned once just to see how long it would take to rust. I finally cleaned it after nine days with no rust or corrosion. 777 is to finicky to compression and gives inconsistent results.

Last edited by Hawg; 01-16-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #16
dcm

to the op good choice on the 1851, got one not too long ago as a gift, they are lots of fun. Like others have mentioned its a brass frame so follow the info sheets you get with the gun and don't exceed a 25 grain load of traditional bp (or its equivelant in substitute). In response to others, real bp is hard for me to find so I shoot pyrodex and it works great for me. Ive found triple7 to be temperamental and pyrodex measures the same as bp (in volume) so pyrodex makes things easier. Anyway have fun with the new toy. Oh and the first thing you should look into getting is a powder flask with a measurement nozzle, it makes things a lot easier at the range. Best of luck

Last edited by dcm; 01-16-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #17

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

There are a lot of black powder recipes on the Internet. My preference is sulfur free due to its price & corrosive nature. Making it would be fun & a lot cheaper than pyrodex.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #18

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Black Powder and soft lead will shoot with the best of the 6 guns. This is a 1960s vintage Euro-Arms Rogers & Spencer target revolver. This was fired from sand bags at 25 yds.

DK

Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #19

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post

Black Powder and soft lead will shoot with the best of the 6 guns. This is a 1960s vintage Euro-Arms Rogers & Spencer target revolver. This was fired from sand bags at 25 yds.

DK
I'm not duelling against you.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #20

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Scratchammo. The R&S revolvers were the last of the cap & ball handguns of the Civil War. I don't think any them made it into service. They went to Bannermans as surplus around 1900. These guns had all the bugs worked out for the most part. They did not make a target revolver. The gun shoots a .457 ball and has a chamfered chamber for seating. The ramer lock is like the ROA. In fact Ruger used the R&S improvements to come up with the ROA. This is stated by Ruger in the history of the ROA. The chambers are deep and will take about the same load as the ROA. I like my ROA but it has nothing on the R&S.

DK