One of a kind Colt Paterson
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > One of a kind Colt Paterson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
PRM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default One of a kind Colt Paterson

Brought this one out of the deposit box for a photo shoot. I picked this one up in 2006 when Colt Black Powder Arms was liquidating all existing stock at their warehouse. I had a friend, a collector, who had been buying some of their sell out stock put me in touch with a factory rep. This one was in a safe and had a unique story attached to it. The rep I was dealing with told me there were no records as to why this barrel had the incorrect stampings. The run of Paterson(s) was only done for about six months prior to their closing. There were only around 300 of the belt Paterson(s) made. They were not offered in any catalog - but were listed in a brochure.

At the time I purchased it there were two theories posed by the factory rep. This was four years after they closed their doors to the public.

1. It was a proto-type piece that never went into production.

or

2. The barrel may have been stamped by the vendor who made the barrels for Colt Black Powder Arms as part of another run, and it slipped through QC. It was then fitted and finished at Colt BPA.

I personally lean toward the second theory, as the serial number on the gun is in the later range of production.

Either way, it's still an Anomaly for a Colt Black Powder Arms gun. Even their outer box identified it as a Different Barrel Address.

1-2-.jpg   img_8682-2-.jpg   img_8695.jpg   img_8701.jpg   img_8705.jpg  

Last edited by PRM; 08-04-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

That is really nice. It's really something to se one in the exact same condition it would have been in when it left the factory so many years ago.