One hell of a Christmas gift

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > One hell of a Christmas gift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default One hell of a Christmas gift

My wife and I were in Seattle visiting her family for Christmas. Unfortunately, I had to abandon the family on Christmas eve and drive five hours to take care of an essential work obligation. I'd had a wonderful time visiting with the family and was disappointed about cutting my vacation short. I said my goodbyes, loaded my car with what I needed, and prepared to hit the road. My father-in-law stopped me on the way out, and said he had a Christmas present for me to open the next day. Out came a large flat wrapped box. We're both gun guys, and have given firearms to one another as gifts several times over the years. I figured he'd gotten me something that goes bang and that was enough to cheer me right up. I put the box in the car and took off for home.

I took care of what I needed to at work this morning and headed home to an empty house. I knew my wife and kiddo were having a good time so I wasn't feeling very bad about my predicament. I poured myself a glass of Christmas libation, called all of my family to wish everyone a merry Christmas, and then set my sights on the mystery box from my father in law.

With all the tragic craziness that has gone on recently I figured it contained something I might not be able to get my hands on in the near future. Boy, was I mistaken. Christmas wrap removed, I was facing a nondescript hand made wooden box with ornate brass hardware. I suddenly felt like a little kid on Christmas morning. I haven't felt that way in a long time, believe you that. I took a sip from my beverage and just savored that feeling for a couple of minutes.

When I finally worked the latches and lifted the lid, I honestly sat stunned at what I was looking at for a while. I own more than my share of firearms, but none as beautiful as what I was looking at. My father-in-law's brother had fashioned me one family heirloom of a kit-built muzzle loader. It's a plum browned, metal inlaid, piece of art. He then sent it to my father-in-law who built the custom box for it containing every accessory I'd need to shoot, clean, and care for it for years to come.

How do you thank a couple of guys for something like this? I have no idea. It's a labor of love that I'll be honored to pass along to my son one day, and if all goes right, he to his. This is my very first black powder gun, and it's really beyond what I have the words for. Are there prettier ones out there? Some would argue, absolutely. But, certainly not from where I'm sitting. tomorrow is going to be a very special range day.

Merry Christmas everyone.

I have no idea how that hole got there.

Last edited by deadeye; 12-26-2012 at 05:34 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts

That's awesome man!!!!!

Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #3

Liked 2487 Times on 1115 Posts
Likes Given: 2390

WOW. Your father in law is really grateful you took his daughter off his hands. I kid. That's a great gift. You're blessed to have family like that.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow! Love the custom box, not to mention the rifle.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....J B Books.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #5

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndfan
Wow! Love the custom box, not to mention the rifle.
Me too that is one helluva rifle!

Where have you been 2ndfan?

-Matt

Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8100

Have to say it, I am a fan of the modern inlines, but if I wound up with something like that rifle for Chirstmas, I would not be disappointed. Both the box and the rifle a beautiful and functional works of art. Enjoy them. More importantly, make sure you enjoy it with your wife and son, that way he will want to do the same with his.

BTW.You have a cool FIL. The most mine ever gave me was detailing supplies for Christmas. Remember to thank him and your BIL.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1195 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1201

That`s just plain beautiful, you really made out like a fat rat..............

When all else fails.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Well Deadeye, that's one heckuv'an invitation to the fraternity!
It's a special classic...

Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

You must have done well with their grandkids!

Beautiful rifle!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Wow that is absolutely beautiful!!!!!