You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket >

One Gun a Week Pic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I still have a CVA '51 Navy Colt I got back in the 80's. It was the first ball & cap pistol I ever bought new. BTW, does anyone know who made those guns? I know they're Italian, but can't remember if it was Uberti, Pietta or someone else.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #32

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Closeups

I realized people might appreciate and I could create decent enough closeups..
italian-us-rifle-musket-closeup.jpg   navy-arms-1864-rifle-musket-closeup.jpg   euroarms-london-armory-rifle-musket-closeup.jpg   pedersoli-flint-rifle-closeup.jpg   hatfield-flint-rifle-closeup-ii.jpg  

hatfield-percussion-rifle-kit-closeup.jpg  

Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

VERY nice collection there Louis...

Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #34

Default TVM Early Virginia

This is my own custom-made TVM Early Virginia .50 flint. It took a year and a half to be made and was to my specs including length of pull, Chambers double set trigger and lock, iron furniture including domed patchbox, some appropriate silver embellishments (I had to convince getting done), and an octagonal-to-round barrel in what was supposed to be the highest quality maplewood stock available with a light brown stain (so we could see the grain and pattern clearly).

It is a very good gun, and promised to be a great value IMO. .50 is my caliber. I needed a lightened barrel to be comfortable shooting no-less carrying this longrifle. A swamped barrel, another option, was just more there than I wanted to spend over what I prefer aesthetically in this case.

I was warned when they shipped it that it was probably darker than I wanted. That was a bit of an understatement. The nice wood was not drop-dead-gorgeous to me, which is what I sorta expected, and is actually two different shades front and back. A little disappointing; enough that I've never ordered or bought others (I see Matt and his stuff fairly routinely) and soon stopped referring shooters who seek me out for recommendations and were buying from him as a result. Doesn't mean they're not good guns and folk -- they are.

I actually went to Italy to make a custom-barreled .50 Kentucky Silver Star to pair with it...
tvm-early-virgina-closeup.jpg   tvm-early-virgina.jpg   tvm-early-virgina-closeup-2.jpg   custom-.50-pedersoli-silver-star-kentucky-i.jpg   custom-tva-early-virginia-.50.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 03-31-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #35

Liked 2215 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 4785

Dang those are nice!!!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #36

these are beautiful, Louis, thanks for sharing.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #37

Thanks.
Hope these are interesting to folk...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-02-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #38

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Here's number three, a Remington New Model Pocket Revolver reproduction by Pietta. It's a 31 caliber percussion revolver, has a five shot cylinder, 3 inch octagon barrel and a spur trigger. This revolver was manufactured in its original percussion form from 1865 to 1873 with about 25,000 produced.
rem32.jpg  

Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #39

Default CVA Mountain Rifle

This gun is also a CVA but not from a kit. It is their Mountain Rifle. NIB This is a later "Made in Spain" gun sans the patchbox.

This highly stylized arm is very sharp-looking if you appreciate its dark walnut stock and contrasting "German Silver" furniture as well as Rocky Mountain front sight blade. The caplock and even wedges are case-hardened. The locks have a reputation for a soft mainspring that needs to be replaced eventually but otherwise, presuming they were careful in assembly, these are a decent rifle with very high accuracy. The adjustable notch sight and double set triggers aid in that. In the Hawken vein, this .50 (yes, my go-to BP caliber) 33" blue barrel is 5" longer than my Thompson/Center's and has a LOP of 14" vs. 13.5" for the T/C or the 12.5" in the #7 CVA Kentucky above for example.

This Mountain Rifle is up there in the looks-department if you like the type with the T/C and many other guns I own if only average quality out of the box. I can see it with a long brass scope in the hands of a CW skirmisher...
cva-mountain-percussion-rifle.jpg   cva-mountain-percussion-rifle-closeup.jpg   winslow_homer_sharpshooter.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-07-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #40

Default Antique Golcher Squirrel Gun

This is an antique Golcher caplock .28 caliber squirrel rifle with a 30" brown octagonal barrel (except for the muzzle, and marked "cast steel"). The walnut stock has many silver inlays, brass furniture and a scalloped pewter nosecap. It has double set triggers to help the accuracy along with a tang peep sight and adjustable rear and pin front sights. The lock bears the maker's, Josh (Joseph) Golcher's, name and other than the sear, which needs repair, the gun is in very good plus condition.

Joseph Golcher was a primarily lock-maker in the Philadelphia, PA area c. 1825 to 1860. His locks are ubiquitous and used by gunmakers across the country but especially "back East."
golcher-percussion-rifle.jpg   golcher-percussion-rifle-closeup.jpg   golcher-percussion-rifle-reverse-comp-3.jpg   bp-rifle-acquisitions-comp-4.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-14-2012 at 02:25 PM.