One Gun a Week Pic
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > One Gun a Week Pic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default One Gun a Week Pic

I saw someone just state that they thought this sub-forum was dead. So, let's spark some life into it!

I'll post a pic of most recent acquisitions, one gun at a time in detail, each week going forward for a while.

Here's a teaser...

bp-rifle-acquisitions-comp-3.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 02-05-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
KAB

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I saw someone just state that they thought this sub-forum was dead. So, let's spark some life into it!

I'll post a pic of most recent acquisitions, one gun at a time in detail, each week going forward for a while.

Here's a teaser...
Thanks , and I look forward to the lessons
I can never get enough of this stuff !

Old 02-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default my 2 most recent....

The Walker is the most recent, the 1st model dragoon 6 months before. Both are a blast- both have now been converted to .45 Colt. The best of both worlds with a quick cylinder change. The .22 rolling block fits right in.

013.jpg  

TACTICAL22.NET,NRA, VCDL

Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #4

The first post is an Italian-made reproduction of a Civil War period Zouave percussion rifle (I believe Euroarms though it does not say). It has an anachronistic screw-adjustable rear sight and a very nice sling. Nice brass parts including patchbox too. I got it in excellent condition except for the barrel bands having been repeatedly slid and thereby wearing the wood finish a bit -- odd. It otherwise seemed unused. Yeah, it could use a bayonet. And maybe a "sniper" cross front sight for the heck of it.

It will nicely complement my original (the heavily-pitted side of my antique Remington is NOT on the lock side so thankfully it is an OK wallhanger and I DO have a bayo for it...).

32-1/2" .58 barrel, blued, in walnut.

Everyone should feel free to chime in. This thread is for fun!

italian-us-rifle-musket-2.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 02-11-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
KAB

Nice gun , great post too . Looks alot like a Thompson Center Rear Sight or Investarms Hawken sight . Whomever had it wanted accuracy , as the Zouve had mediocre sights at best of course relying on mostly Kentucky windage , especially for elevation adjustments .
Cool

Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
KAB

Default I bet

I bet the stock got scratched up because the barrel bands are one directional tapered to fit snug . Obviously they reveresed them while cleaning the barrel or greasing under the barrel and returning it to the stock . Yup .

Old 02-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #7

KAB;
Thanks, and thanks for the info -- if I ever knew that about the bands I forgot it, it certainly didn't cross my mind, and it may explain alot!

Louis

PS: I borrowed this from Cabelas...
"History doesn't tell us much about the use of the 1863 Zouave rifle musket during the Civil War. ...there is no historical record of it being formally issued to military units on either side. Its name is also something of a mystery.
Original Zouave units [pronounced ZOO-ahve] were French light infantry serving in North Africa in the 1830s and characterized by unique and colorful uniforms... Both the Union and Confederacy fielded Zouave regiments of their own with similar costumes, but none of them were issued 1863 Zouave rifle muskets. ...some have speculated that the gun's striking colorful appearance might have prompted the name.
Remington manufactured more than 12,000 of the rifles between 1863 and 1865, most of which were part of an order placed by the U.S. Army - the last order it would ever place for a percussion-ignition long gun. Though not as abundant as other long arms during that time, collectors generally consider them to be the best made and designed muzzleloading weapons of the Civil War era
."

Last edited by HockaLouis; 02-11-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #8
KAB

Default I only learned

Quote:
KAB;
Thanks, and thanks for the info -- if I ever knew that about the bands I forgot it, it certainly didn't cross my mind, and it may explain alot!
No Problem , I learned it the hard way myself , LOL , on a Sharps Military Model no less , hee hee , but will never forget it My Smith Carbine is the same way , but not quite as fussy as some of those bands can be on other models , yours being one of them probably . That and you gots to sqeeze the barrel tight into the wood while putting bands on to avoid scratches anywayz regardless of directional bands or not .

Old 02-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #9

Ya know what? The more I think about it formally, the more I know I have often slid down, stopped, removed, reversed, and then re-slid on a proper fitting barrel band again. I just never "think" about it.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
KAB

Default See what I mean ?

Quote:
Ya know what? The more I think about it formally, the more I know I have often slid down, stopped, removed, reversed, and then re-slid on a proper fitting barrel band again. I just never "think" about it.
HockaLouis , I was just reading a Zouve thread on another forum I won't mention , those guys are WAY TOO SERIOUS over there , but the thread was about the sights on the Zouve , and how lacking they are , especially in elevation adjustment . I found it ironic that we were just talking about that here Go figure .

See what I mean about this Black Powder Forum being so dang slow here , even with some of us purposely trying to make it alive ? You got 128 views on your thread as I type this , only replys are from my dumb a$$ of course
That is why I said the other week that I thought this forum heading was dead . I nearly gave up on this , but I am soooooo stubborn .
We got 120 learkers watching this thread , no replys , speachless people , no sharing , no nothing on a great thread about the Remington Zouve ? I just don't get it !
Why dont people post threads on stuff or reply to whats been posted ? Very frustrating , never seen anything like it ? Are people that shy ?
I will say I appreciate your efforts though Keep it coming !