Old Percussion Side by side..(manufacturer ??)
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket >

Old Percussion Side by side..(manufacturer ??)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Old Percussion Side by side..(manufacturer ??)

Hello im new here and have a side by side percussion cap shotgun (dual trigger) I have no idea the value or manufacturer of this gun. Under the barrel , the only markings i have found is a circle with the letters "EG" stamped inside. The circle is about the size of a pencil eraser. Also on the top of the barrel is etched "Fine Twist" Does anyone have any idea about this guns value and Manufacturer? Thank you.
My email is - "clubford00@aol.com"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10988 Times on 4759 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

First, welcome to the forum- When you get a chance, drop by the intro section and say howdy.

I'll betcha a beer if you look REAL close at that circle, you have the letters ELG. Unfortunately that is not the maker. That is the mark of the government proof house in Liege Belgium. After a gun was made in Belgium, makers shipped them to the proof house. They would be test fired, and marked with a stamp to show they passed. Fine Twist will mean a form of Damascus (twist) steel barrel.

Pictures posted here may help- as will any marking on the gun. To be blunt- expensive guns had the makers names PROMINENTLY displayed. There were boatloads of inexpensive Belgian shotguns made for export- usually to the US. If you have not done so, please use a ramrod and check that it is not loaded. A surprising number of older muzzleloading guns are found still loaded- ran across one 6 months ago, being proudly carried by new owner- had been loaded for over 80 years.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #3

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
. To be blunt- expensive guns had the makers names PROMINENTLY displayed. .
So did really cheap ones. Usually the name of a famous maker in some form.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10988 Times on 4759 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

True. You saw a lot of W. Richards, hoping to be mistaken for Westley Richards, and Barkers hoping to be confused with Parkers, etc.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #5

I found a few more markings, The # 192 stamped in as well as what looks like 2 cursive "E"s overlapping. Any help? And thanks c3 i had already checked for it to be unloaded. This was my grandfathers gun that he used all the time for hunting small furries!
Is this gun worth anything???

Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 7 Posts

Seriously, how can you expect anyone to assess the value of your gun without pictures? Anything we said would be nothing more than a wild guess and as such useless. If you post some detailed pictures, someone may be able to help - but none of us are real appraisers...

Old 02-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #7

Ill get some pics up here by the weekend, thanks.