old or new?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > old or new?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2111 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Default old or new?

I have had a muzzle loader in the back of my safe for a long time...at least 12 years. I just took it out and shot it today. It is a Thomson/Center .50 Cal. It looks like a Hawkins. But it doesn't say it anywhere.

It simply says "Thompson/Center Arms" and right under that is says Rochester, New Hampshire. Then it says CAL50 off to the right. There is a six digit serial number on the other side of the barrel. There are no other markings of any kind. Again, It does not say Hawkins on it. I was also surprized to find that it does not say Black powder only on it anywhere. I thought it had to be modern because is has a serial number. But I have never seen a new bp gun that did not say black powder only.

Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

Thanks
Rick
dsc00296.jpg   dsc00301.jpg  
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2011, 01:33 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The wood is plain, the furnature is crap, the hex barrel looks to antiquated!! Send it to me, I'll dispose of it for you!

Too nice to be a safe queen!! You shouold taker her out more often!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:41 AM   #3

I am ashamed that it took me 12 years to get to the range with it. But I do have a crap load of guns to rotate out to the range. Nice problem to have.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #4

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

It's modern, probably put together from a kit. If the serial number has a K prefix it was a kit.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 08-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #5

The serial number is all numbers. Six in all.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #6

It had been in a fire many years before it was given to me. The previous owner was my mom's third husband who left it to me when he died. He had bought it at an estate sale I believe. It was in the fire before he got it. So I know about 16-20 years of history on it. But nothing before that. I sanded the stock and cleaned it up. Brasso does a wonderful job on the hardware. It is hard to tell in the photo. But the brass is really nice.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #7

Then it wasn't a kit. Still a modern piece. BTW it in no way resembles an original Hawken.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:56 AM   #8

Thompson /Center makes a Hawken now that looks exactly like my gun. I was looking at them at Cabelas yesterday. It had the same markings as mine, but said Hawken after Thompson/Center. It also said black power only on it.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #9

TC has been making that rifle since 1970. I don't know when Black Powder Only was required. The barrel has been browned where it was originally blued. It could have been removed at that time.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #10

Liked 138 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Wonder what the rate of twist is on that one? I know the newer ones are 1 in 48 which is a shame, a little fast for a round ball and a little slow for a slug. Just wondering what Thompson used in their older guns. My first was a CVA in the seventies and it has a 1-66 and I heard they latter changed to 1-48 also.

Newest Threads