Old Musket I came Across - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Old Musket I came Across

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8863 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Sir- I cannot say with certainty- need close up pics of the barrel markings with LOTS of pixels- but that APPEARS to be a Belgian made shotgun with Damascus barrels.

Take a close look at the stampings. I think one of them may look like this:

belgian-proofmark2.gif

That is the mark of the Belgian proofhouse at Liege, Belgium.

Do not know if you are familiar with Damascus style barrels- they were made by taking strips of iron and steel, wrapping them around a metal rod, heating them and hammer forging them until they fused- and then the rod was driven out. This style was fine for the pressure of black powder- and when the barrels were new. Not fine for smokeless powder. Each of the thousands of welds is subject to corrosion from black powder, and, if sufficiently weakened, COULD fail in a violent manner upon firing. And that gun likely has 125 years or more of aging.

I would not fire any original muzzle loading Damascus gun with anything- but that is because I really like my fingers where they are.

Nice shotgun- deserves a retirement to a place of honor- above the fireplace. PS- If you have not done so, please be sure to use a ramrod, and check that there is not a load sitting in the barrel. Found one late last year, still loaded.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

St8LineGunsmith Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It looks like a Jaeger shotgun piece to me. German, Belgium something like that. I think if you see the exact proof mark shown above then it is definitely Belgium, circa 1870s. They varied their proof mark from time to time, so exact is crucial. Yes we would need to see a sharp focused image of each stamp to tell you more specific information. What I find interesting is the elaborate construction of the stock and trigger guard is not consistent with the plainness of the lock mechanism. I note also some gap between the front edge of the lock mechanism and the inletting of the wood. To me, this implies the locks may not be original to the stock.

Since you describe yourself as a new member, and may therefore possibly be new to guns, you should not be the one to remove the lock yourself. Let a genuine, bonded, gunsmith with the proper size screwdrivers do that for you. No matter what it is, burred or marred screw heads will lower the value instantly. Have him 'mike' the bores too for you. As stated there will probably be a host of more markings inside the lock plate. In the old days, sometimes one shop made the locks, then sold the lock assemblies to a gunsmith who mated them (usually very meticulously) to a stock and barrel. Alternatively, sometimes everything was done in the same place. Sometimes additional maker marks are found somewhere on the stock. There are whole books and websites dedicated to who made what mark and in what year and who did subcontract work for who.

In a perfect (but rare) world everything will have matching marks and you will have something. Sometimes with these pieces one or two pieces get lost or broken. Someone else years or a century later says, 'hey, do you think we can make this trigger guard fit that old stock? What about this old barrel and those locks from China, will they fit?'

Point being if your stock is wood from Germany, the barrel is from Belgium in 1875, but it turns out the locks were sold by Dixie gun works last year, and the trigger guard is from Persia circa 1910, then you may not have much beyond a wall hanger curio. The stamp marks can tell us/you more.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #13

Liked 171 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 224

good eye c3shooter didn't see any marks on the barrel

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Old 09-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8863 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

St8line- thanx. First set of photos, second from bottom. I learned how to cheat a bit on photos- hold down the control key, and turn the wheel on the mouse- picture enlarges. On the bottom barrel without the V marks, looks like the ELG oval. That why I said a lot of pixels- hi def photos can be blown up a lot. Also lets you see the lines of the damascus better.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #15

Liked 171 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
St8line- thanx. First set of photos, second from bottom. I learned how to cheat a bit on photos- hold down the control key, and turn the wheel on the mouse- picture enlarges. On the bottom barrel without the V marks, looks like the ELG oval. That why I said a lot of pixels- hi def photos can be blown up a lot. Also lets you see the lines of the damascus better.
neat trick

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Lovely! Don't get rid of it. Keep it!