Old guns I inherited want to know more
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Old guns I inherited want to know more

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 01:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Old guns I inherited want to know more

I inherited this gun along with some others I would like to know more about them were they were used how much they are worth ect.

File Type: jpg 20140507_235622.jpg (28.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20140507_235643.jpg (30.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20140507_235648.jpg (32.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20140507_235700.jpg (31.1 KB, 79 views)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2014, 02:45 AM   #2

Liked 53 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 49

That is a turn of the century single barrel shotgun. These were sold by companies like Sears and Roebuck for very low prices. This may be an Aubrey stamped gun. A very inexpensive "Barn" gun. Your gun is missing the forearm and the barrel has been sawed off.
You should measure the barrel if it is less than 18 inches you are in possession of an illegal weapon. Current value is maybe $20 dollars and maybe not.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 952 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1

An interesting question, what do you do when you inherit an illegal firearm, for instance a sawed off shotgun that a couple of generations of non gun guys just kept passing down without knowing or caring that it was illegal as it sat in the back of the closet unused, but not gotten rid of "because it was grandpas".

If it is something reasonably common you order a new barrel and cut up the old one into very small pieces of scrap metal. But if it isn't something common do you walk into the sheriffs office with an illegal firearm and say I just inherited this?

If uncle Buford just passed away and aunt Matilda gives you his guns and one is too short, when you go to the Sheriffs office is aunt Matilda going to get arrested for co-owning an illegal firearm?

These are valid questions especially in states with gun grabbing tendencies.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3173 Times on 2154 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default Old guns I inherited want to know more

Depends on where the OP lives. I would look It up.

Edit: regarding the inheriting part. It's a federal law regarding the barrel length. No shorter then 18.5"

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 08-26-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Depends on where the OP lives. I would look It up.

Edit: regarding the inheriting part. It's a federal law regarding the barrel length. No shorter then 18.5"

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
18, not 18.5. Yes--lot's of them are made just a bit long so there is
no doubt of legality, but 18.000 is still legal.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #6

POST REMOVED BY MODERATOR

Jeremy- you are new here, and I will take that into account. Your response was immature and uncalled for. Members took the time to respond to your posts. Do not respond in that manner again.
C3Shooter, Moderator.

Last edited by c3shooter; 08-26-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 378 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 85

if that's an Aubrey, it's damasus steel.

op. if the metal looks swirly (like fingerprints) on the barrel, whatever you do, and, I am begging you, DO NOT FIRE IT!

modern smokeless shells will turn that into a grenade...with you in close proximity.

I own a double barreled Aubrey. they are great wall hangers...that's about all the average modern gun owner will want to do with it (and, yes...mine looks great over my mantle...keeps the teen boys thinking)

God made man. Sam Colt made us equal, John Moses Browning made us civilized

Last edited by jakebrake; 08-26-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7154 Times on 3916 Posts
Likes Given: 14514

Our members took their time to read your question, research your shotgun and post responses. Show a little appreciation.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 08-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #9

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
An interesting question, what do you do when you inherit an illegal firearm, for instance a sawed off shotgun that a couple of generations of non gun guys just kept passing down without knowing or caring that it was illegal as it sat in the back of the closet unused, but not gotten rid of "because it was grandpas".

If it is something reasonably common you order a new barrel and cut up the old one into very small pieces of scrap metal. But if it isn't something common do you walk into the sheriffs office with an illegal firearm and say I just inherited this?

If uncle Buford just passed away and aunt Matilda gives you his guns and one is too short, when you go to the Sheriffs office is aunt Matilda going to get arrested for co-owning an illegal firearm?

These are valid questions especially in states with gun grabbing tendencies.
When you measure the barrel, make sure you know where to measure from and to. 1/8" off can get you in deep water.

No way would I ever walk into a sheriffs office with an illegal weapon, no matter what story I had to go with it. If the barrel is short cut it up and toss it. It is just that simple.

These types of shotguns usually cost around $75.00 in perfect condition.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-27-2014, 05:03 AM   #10
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 952 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
When you measure the barrel, make sure you know where to measure from and to. 1/8" off can get you in deep water.

No way would I ever walk into a sheriffs office with an illegal weapon, no matter what story I had to go with it. If the barrel is short cut it up and toss it. It is just that simple.

These types of shotguns usually cost around $75.00 in perfect condition.
This hasn't happened to me the first couple of posts just made me wonder. I inherited an old single shot shotgun, 24 or 26 inch barrel and I just wondered what some of you would do if you inherited something illegal?