Odd 1866 British Enfield

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Odd 1866 British Enfield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 728 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

Default Odd 1866 British Enfield

I picked up an interesting British Enfield at auction on New Years Day, and can't turn up anything much on it online. The lockplate clearly says Enfield 1866, and has the crown mark and VR. What's baffling is that every reference I can find to an 1866 Enfield concerns the Snider-Enfield breechloader conversion, which this is definitely not.

Also, the barrel, trigger guard, and some of the other metal parts have been extensively engraved (what looks to be a stylized cheetah or leopard and gazelle in some areas); and the stock has been inlaid with what's probably bone, including camels on the buttstock (both sides). I've attached some pics that show the whole gun, close-up of the lockplate and hammer/nipple, detail of the inlays and engravings.

I've seen "WD" on several of the parts, and I understand that this means it was military issue. Possibly it saw action in North Africa, and was engraved after falling into private hands?

In any case, it is going to look very cool hanging on pegs in my log home that's currently being planned.

1866enfield_1678.jpg   1866enfield_1679.jpg   1866enfield_1681.jpg   1866enfield_1682.jpg   1866enfield_1690.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #2

That's because it's patterned after the 1853
but is most likely a Khyber Pass special so could have very well have been made in 1866, as a lot of the makers didn't know how to read. At least the Letters look right... and the crown looks classic for Khyber Pass Sovereign’s Cypher

It must be understood by the operator that common sense and caution are factors which cannot be built into this product, but must be supplied by the operator.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Man thats sweet could the inlay maybe be ivory. some one shure put a lot of work into that.
F.K.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #4

That enfield musket is a piece of art. Have you shot it yet? I have a 1857 Tower that I shoot for fun. Made sure it was sound. Cleaned the bore and lock. Even using the musket nipple that was on the rifle. Doesen't shoot bad for the age for being 160

musket-001.jpgmusket-002.jpg

MUZZLESMOKE If you shoot black powder shoot it out of Pedersoli.....
Laws are spider webs; they hold the weak and delicate who are caught in their meshes, but are torn in pieces by the rich and powerful. OUR GOVERNMENT

Old 01-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 728 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

I haven't hardly had a chance to log back in since I posted this, been so busy at work. The Khyber Pass theory is intriguing, but would an Afghani decorate with camels and cats chasing gazelles? As for shooting it, I think this gun will be for art only, but I am tempted to find another, undecorated Enfield or a replica to take to the range.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That,s one sweet looking rifle.

I love the smell of gun powder in the morning . Hipoints break in my house and see if they work.