Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > obtained a black powder rifle tonight!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
If you intend to shoot that rifle, please buy a copy of the Lyman Black Powder Handbook and read it well before you ever attempt to fire it.

Have the rifle checked by a knowledgeable person first.

Do you regularly shoot at a range? If so do you see any folks there shooting BP rifles? If so engage them in conversation during cease fires and ask for help, most BP shooters will gladly help a newbie.

If you do not shoot at a range frequented by BP shooters, go find one and find someone there who can/will offer you some guidance.
thats deff a great idea there!!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #22

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT2TOMMY View Post
i want a black powder pistol soooo bad!!!
You won't find a better deal on a new one unless you go with a brass frame and be restricted to light loads. Cabela's: 1858 New Army .44 Caliber Revolver

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #23

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Take it to the range, put a cap on it and Dorp the hammer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Don't even think about it. You have no idea what someone may have loaded it with. The best way is put the ramrod down in it and mark it and then lay it on top of barrel to see how deep it went. An empty barrel wont have but an inch or so of ramrod sticking out. That rifle is what CVA called a Kentucky. It's a .45 caliber and was most likely put together from a kit. The stock came in two pieces so it would fit in a box.
Guys, I meant that as a joke and never got back to the thread to qualify it. Thanks for having my and Tommy's back.

Treat ever firearm as if it were loaded. And I'll add...Never take anything for granted!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #24

and im goin to a auction tommaorw night, possibly bring home anoth black powder or an early model 22

Old 03-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Guys, I meant that as a joke and never got back to the thread to qualify it.
I kinda thought that but you never know when somebody will take something seriously.

DEO VINDICE

Old 03-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #26

What a great payment. Nice rifle.

I'm guessing that this is your first muzzle loader. Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know.

Ditto on checking it out first, although you can do most of it yourself. Find out if its loaded by the ramrod method, then get a cleaning jag, and work on the barrel, first with a water/detergent/alcohol mix, then regular gun oil (I use break-free). Expect some rust to come out on the patch at first.

Get a nipple wrench, pull the nipple, and inspect the threads. It they're trashed, don't shoot it. BTW, that doesn't ruin the gun, because you can replace the thimble. Remove the screw on the side of the thimble, and clean out the passage.

Now get information. The Lyman books is great. CVA has a very good generic manual at http://www.cva.com/pdfs/Side.pdf. Find a local muzzle loading/reenactment group.

There are a bunch of places the you can find parts and supplies, including Midway, Dixie Gun Works, and Track of the Wolf.

Looks like the max recommended load is 80 gr FFg with a .440 patched round ball. I'd start with a 50-60 gr load, and play until you find the rifles sweet spot. You can also use FFFg, just be sure to reduce the load by 20%.

Bunch more info can be passed on, but I'm getting long-winded as is. Get info, and have fun with it.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #27

If you use a regular gun oil never leave any in the bore. Black powder fouling and petroleum based oils leave a nasty tar like residue thats a booger to clean. Always use vegetable based lubes with bp. Petro lubes are ok in locks and pistol actions but never in bore or chambers.

DEO VINDICE

Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
If you use a regular gun oil never leave any in the bore. Black powder fouling and petroleum based oils leave a nasty tar like residue thats a booger to clean. Always use vegetable based lubes with bp. Petro lubes are ok in locks and pistol actions but never in bore or chambers.
... and that's a start of another debate. I've heard this also, and not saying its wrong, but my friends and I've never seen it (my first BP was a cva hawken bought in 1980). Could be where I live, dry kalifornia, or how I clean the barrel (bucket of hot soapy water, clear hot water rinse, clean and oil with break-free, follow-up oiling in the next couple of days). Don't know.

Another one is to cure or not to cure the barrel (I don't).

Part of the fun with smoke-poles, listening to all sides, then finding what works for you.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #29

Break Free is a synthetic. I've never tried it but I know first hand what petro based oils wil do.

DEO VINDICE

Old 03-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #30
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2236 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Tat!

That is a nice rifle. If you know anyone that shoots black powder have them check it out with you. Connecticut Valley Arms goes under the trade name today of CVA on the Internet. They have been making black powder weapons for years. You should have a blast shooting the rifle. Probably best to do a lot of research on the How To's and Don'ts on the Black Powder Forums as well as you can go to Boarders,Books a Million or others and you can get a Book on Black Powder Shooting! It is like a Shooters Bible if you ever saw one of those! I bought one a while back. The Book is about 11"X8" and full of information and loading data. Oh by the way! Best to shoot original Black Powder in it. Not pyrodex and etc.
Enjoy that rifle! Evidently the old man thinks a lot of you to give you a rifle. I am a little sentimental when a friend or someone gives me a weapon. Usually it has found a home for life! A friend of mine gave me an Army 44 Cal. Black Powder Pistol in a presentation box with flask extra cylinder and all for my Birthday a few years ago. And I prize it at the top of all of my weapons even though I mostly look at it and remember his gift. But it is a blast to shoot and I am sure you will love the old rifle. I use to have a Pennsylvania 36 cal that looked alot like your rifle in years past. ENJOY!