obtained a black powder rifle tonight!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > obtained a black powder rifle tonight!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default obtained a black powder rifle tonight!!

well today before work i helped my niebor do some work around his house, he is a older man and he said he wanted to repay me for my help... i a million times told him not to worry about it, but he insisted since he knows im into guns to give me this, he said he knows nothing about it except he got it at a auction a few years back. now im getting really excited suprisingly, im about to do a ton of research on this gun tonight any info you all have is welcome connecticut valley arms, inc. black powder .45 ca. #0003278

img00475-20110301-2217.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Sorry, i can not help you out with any information about it, but that is really cool that he gave you it. Looks to be in pretty good condition.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

it is in beautiful condition now from the reserch i did... its a replica of a hawkins, mine is worth bettween 100-250$ which is really not bad seeing as I got it for an hr worth of shoveling off a roof

Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

besides i think im gonna keep it find a more knowledge source and see if id be able to fire it

Old 03-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #5

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

That is a copy of a generic long rifle imported mostly during the 1960s. You will note the stock spacer in the forearm section of the stock. The spacer joins the 2 pcs. stock common to these imports. These were bargin priced rifles and got lots of guys interested in shooting black powder. It most likely takes a .440 ball and a .015 patch and a starting load of 45 grs of 3F. You should however measure the bore to make sure of the ball size. The value ranges around the $200 mark. good luck

DK

Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
That is a copy of a generic long rifle imported mostly during the 1960s. You will note the stock spacer in the forearm section of the stock. The spacer joins the 2 pcs. stock common to these imports. These were bargin priced rifles and got lots of guys interested in shooting black powder. It most likely takes a .440 ball and a .015 patch and a starting load of 45 grs of 3F. You should however measure the bore to make sure of the ball size. The value ranges around the $200 mark. good luck

DK
thank you man!!! i appreciate the info

Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 AM   #7

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would have some one check it out before firing. The nipples often have stripped or damaged threads. The nipple can blow out on firing causing a dager to the shooter or by standers. Make sure it is not loaded by putting the rod down the barrel and measureing it. The barrels will most likley need cleaning and smoothing before loading. If the barrel is rough a ball can stick half way down, real problem. good luck

DK

Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
I would have some one check it out before firing. The nipples often have stripped or damaged threads. The nipple can blow out on firing causing a dager to the shooter or by standers. Make sure it is not loaded by putting the rod down the barrel and measureing it. The barrels will most likley need cleaning and smoothing before loading. If the barrel is rough a ball can stick half way down, real problem. good luck

DK
much appreaceated what should the mesure be? how will i tell it its loaded?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Take it to the range, put a cap on it and Dorp the hammer!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

That would look good hanging on the wall. Fun to shoot as well.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.