Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   obtained a black powder rifle tonight!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/obtained-black-powder-rifle-tonight-39193/)

TAT2TOMMY 03-02-2011 03:37 AM

obtained a black powder rifle tonight!!

1 Attachment(s)
well today before work i helped my niebor do some work around his house, he is a older man and he said he wanted to repay me for my help... i a million times told him not to worry about it, but he insisted since he knows im into guns to give me this, he said he knows nothing about it except he got it at a auction a few years back. now im getting really excited suprisingly, im about to do a ton of research on this gun tonight:) any info you all have is welcome:) connecticut valley arms, inc. black powder .45 ca. #0003278

Boyerracing343 03-02-2011 04:36 AM

Sorry, i can not help you out with any information about it, but that is really cool that he gave you it. Looks to be in pretty good condition.

TAT2TOMMY 03-02-2011 05:54 AM

it is in beautiful condition:) now from the reserch i did... its a replica of a hawkins, mine is worth bettween 100-250$ which is really not bad seeing as I got it for an hr worth of shoveling off a roof:)

TAT2TOMMY 03-02-2011 05:55 AM

besides i think im gonna keep it:) find a more knowledge source and see if id be able to fire it:)

Durangokid 03-02-2011 06:15 AM

That is a copy of a generic long rifle imported mostly during the 1960s. You will note the stock spacer in the forearm section of the stock. The spacer joins the 2 pcs. stock common to these imports. These were bargin priced rifles and got lots of guys interested in shooting black powder. It most likely takes a .440 ball and a .015 patch and a starting load of 45 grs of 3F. You should however measure the bore to make sure of the ball size. The value ranges around the $200 mark. good luck;)

DK

TAT2TOMMY 03-02-2011 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durangokid (Post 456089)
That is a copy of a generic long rifle imported mostly during the 1960s. You will note the stock spacer in the forearm section of the stock. The spacer joins the 2 pcs. stock common to these imports. These were bargin priced rifles and got lots of guys interested in shooting black powder. It most likely takes a .440 ball and a .015 patch and a starting load of 45 grs of 3F. You should however measure the bore to make sure of the ball size. The value ranges around the $200 mark. good luck;)

DK

thank you man!!! i appreciate the info:)

Durangokid 03-02-2011 06:23 AM

I would have some one check it out before firing. The nipples often have stripped or damaged threads. The nipple can blow out on firing causing a dager to the shooter or by standers. Make sure it is not loaded by putting the rod down the barrel and measureing it. The barrels will most likley need cleaning and smoothing before loading. If the barrel is rough a ball can stick half way down, real problem. good luck:)

DK

TAT2TOMMY 03-02-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durangokid (Post 456095)
I would have some one check it out before firing. The nipples often have stripped or damaged threads. The nipple can blow out on firing causing a dager to the shooter or by standers. Make sure it is not loaded by putting the rod down the barrel and measureing it. The barrels will most likley need cleaning and smoothing before loading. If the barrel is rough a ball can stick half way down, real problem. good luck:)

DK

much appreaceated:) what should the mesure be? how will i tell it its loaded?

dunerunner 03-02-2011 06:31 AM

Take it to the range, put a cap on it and Dorp the hammer!

doctherock 03-02-2011 06:34 AM

That would look good hanging on the wall. Fun to shoot as well.