Nipple Wrench for RDstrain49 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Nipple Wrench for RDstrain49

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
KAB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstrain49 View Post
So far the only way I have found to get the right size washer is to have them custom made. Minimum order 100, price per each $1.95 + shipping. I think not. Can't modify a washer that is close, the three mm width of the finished washer is just too thin to work with. My armorers background has got me thinking outside the box if I can't find the correct size washer. I will get the little shooter running yet. It's not a problem, just another challenge to be met and overcome.
If you would like , tomarrow , they are closed tonight , I can check to see if my Palace has the washers you need , I can buy by the ones too there
What thickness do you want to try ? Stainless or Carbon Steel or coated ?
Exact measurements you need would be helpfull too ? No problem doin it for ya , and if they have some , will drop um in an envelope for you , probably be there in two days .

Cheerios RD

Old 02-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #12

After a bit of trial and error I found that if I take 3 3/4" of .011 copper wire, wrap it around the nipple just below the shoulder and firmly seat the nipple in the cylinder, I get 100% ignition on all five chambers. Not the by the book repair, just field armory at it's best. (shade tree gun smithing)

Now, range report first warm day.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
KAB

Where there is a will , there is a way , good job .

Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
KAB

Default As useual RD

Quote:
KAB
There is no such thing as a 5/32" socket in Custer SD. I settled on a 3/16" deep socket.
---------------------------------------------------------

I am guessing you don't have any SEARS stores in South Dakota there RD ?
If you do , or have access to SEARS on the WEB or Catalog , then you have 5/32nds sockets . Just sayin ! LOL

Your way over thinkin this washer thing RD , just shave off the bottom of the nipple base , its a straight line flash channel in the end of that nipple and it isnt gonna hurt any to be just a hair shorter RD . Keep it simple buddy . You got your first great idea from me , a REDNECK , maybe try another great idea too . -----Might be an easier and better fix than risking getting the copper wire stuck in a thread , as you need to be able to repeat removal and installation MANY times .

Last edited by KAB; 02-10-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Bad Spelling , Redneck Grammer , LOL

Old 02-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #15

KAB, need longer nipple not shorter. Came up with a method to fit the brass washers. Used a carbide burr and parallel jaw pliers to enlarge the hole, then friction fit the washer onto a tapered center punch, then using the punch for a handle, filed the outside of the washer to fit the nipple well. Gained about .010 and got 100% ignition. This method was a bit labor intensive, but a lot cheaper than having washers custom made, $195.00 for 100 washers.

Thought about using small o rings instead of washer, may try it yet, but so far the hand fit washers seem to work just fine.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
KAB

Default Hmmm?

Quote:
KAB, need longer nipple not shorter. Came up with a method to fit the brass washers. Used a carbide burr and parallel jaw pliers to enlarge the hole, then friction fit the washer onto a tapered center punch, then using the punch for a handle, filed the outside of the washer to fit the nipple well. Gained about .010 and got 100% ignition. This method was a bit labor intensive, but a lot cheaper than having washers custom made, $195.00 for 100 washers.

Thought about using small o rings instead of washer, may try it yet, but so far the hand fit washers seem to work just fine.
Longer nipple ? Not following ya RD if your putting a washer under the nipple you are shortening the nipple not elongating it , right ?
I am often confused but that just dont make sence ? What your gaining is higher nipple to hammer length , but in your cylinder you are for sure shortening it in the combustion chamber addinga washer to the underside of the threades .

Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #17

The nipple wells were drilled a bit too deep, hammer would not come close to the nipples. I'll try to get pics.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
KAB

Default Got it

Quote:
The nipple wells were drilled a bit too deep, hammer would not come close to the nipples. I'll try to get pics.
Got it now , I though the nipples were too long into the chamber and for some reason it wasn't setting the powder off . Silly me

Old 02-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #19

Just got done test firing. Not the most accurate shooter I've ever had but lots of fun to shoot. New wedge may help accuracy. The hand fit washers under the nipples worked to perfection. 100% ignition. Only shot about 20 rounds, much too cold for and extended range session. Chambers seem to be a bit over size. Makes maintaining even powder compression a bit difficult but no big deal. Larger ball may also help accuracy. This probably won't become my favorite BP but it's not bad. Forgot to take the camera to the shop. Next time, maybe.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #20
KAB

Default Cool

Quote:
Just got done test firing. Not the most accurate shooter I've ever had but lots of fun to shoot. New wedge may help accuracy. The hand fit washers under the nipples worked to perfection. 100% ignition. Only shot about 20 rounds, much too cold for and extended range session. Chambers seem to be a bit over size. Makes maintaining even powder compression a bit difficult but no big deal. Larger ball may also help accuracy. This probably won't become my favorite BP but it's not bad. Forgot to take the camera to the shop. Next time, maybe.
Yup Rd , ours takes .457 for sure , only had the box of Hornady .454's and it swollowed them with little shaving off the Balls . I use grease over so didn't concern me about chainfires .
Good luck and happy shootin .