nipple wrench - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > nipple wrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2186 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 3327

Quote:
but when I saw the name of this thread I thought of a wierd contraption completely unrelated to firearms...

Same here. i was thinking of some sinister S&M device.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #12

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Most nipple wrenches aren't hardened and will deform on tight nipples. You can take a 1/4" drive socket that comes close to fitting and cut a slot in it with a dremel tool. I think it's a 3/16 socket but I'm not sure about that.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 PM   #13

Thanks guys for all your help. this is a real Colt 1849 not a repro. so I wanted to fix it right. The guy it belongs to had it sitting in a dresser drawer for 20 years, broken. He gave it to me to fix and I told him that I would work on it as I could cause my shop doesn't have much in the way of heat. I told him 6
months, for the pistol and an Arisaka 38. Now he's crying about when is he going to get his guns back!!! Well the pistol went back today and the Arisaka will go tomorrow. I was going to disassemble the bolt and trigger assy. clean and inspect and reassemble. The he!! with it I took the bolt out of the penetrating oil and tomorrow I'll put all back together and give it back and tell him I would not shoot it but he can.

This guy is a friend of my sons and I was doing the job for free and he still can't wait. If he asks I'll tell him to take it to Barnhill. He is a 'smith north of Richmond,Va. that takes 6mo.-1yr to do any work and if you complain he'll give you back your gun in a box and charge you for the box
Oh well thanks for the advice and I did store all the suggestions for future ref.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Rusty- y'all are just around the corner, so to speak. That link I gave you to Track of the Wolf is for a nipple wrench FOR a .31 Colt. Sure you are not thinking of Charlie Baltz up near Ashland? All else fails, tell him to take it to KC Young over at Black Creek Shooters. In Hanover, but out near Cold Harbor.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Rusty- y'all are just around the corner, so to speak. That link I gave you to Track of the Wolf is for a nipple wrench FOR a .31 Colt. Sure you are not thinking of Charlie Baltz up near Ashland? All else fails, tell him to take it to KC Young over at Black Creek Shooters. In Hanover, but out near Cold Harbor.
c3, you are correct. I was thinking of Baltz and typed Barnhill, who has not been around for many years. I saw the .31 cal nipple wrench but the guy who owns the pistol aggrivated me so much I just gave the gun back to him. He wants to shoot it and I did fire a cap only to test it,and it popped fine, but I don't trust the nipples that are in the gun now. He does not know how old they are or anything else about the gun. I don't want to inflict this aggrivation on anyone else so I'm going to let the owner figure out what to do with the gun. He'll probably stick some caps on the nipples that are on it now FILL the cylinder with 4X and a ball and blow the gun up! You can't explain to some people.

If you want to get together and do some shooting, either guns or bulls, PM me for telephone # and address.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Rusty- will do- traveling for work quite a bit right now- hopefully as weather gets better, will have some home station time. Will give you a shout.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.