Nipple size - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket >

Nipple size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I removed the "nipple" with a quater inch open end wrench. It appears that the threads are the same as for the #11. ( have two #11s I purchased at BassPro) The round part of my "nipple" is 5.80mm and measureing the #11, it is 4.1mm. Can I assume mine has been replaced? The hammer seems to fit the larger one very well. Would that be a musket cap size?

Guess what I need to know is what size of cap and capper do I buy???

The manual that one of you supplied indicates that the nipple size should be #11.

Last edited by drboompa; 10-04-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: adding more text

Old 10-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #22

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I said 409 should have said 209. Any way these imports take a metric thread and often standard caps do not fit well. Go to Track Of the Wolf web page they have the conversion nipple tables for all these imports. This will give you the correct size nipple and thread size. I would also get a Cash rifle capper not an inline capper.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #23

Howdy:

Maybe I am missing the point, but the question was concerning the size of the nioole WRENCH that is being addressed. Yes, there are different sized nipple wrenches. T/C oft times will not fit CVA or Traditions and visa-versa.

am talking now of the WRENCH - Italian nipples are different in thread from Spanish and different from American. Measure the thickness of the flats - then go to the Possibles shop and contact them for a proper sized nipple wrench. You may end up buying a new nipple and a wrench that fits. sizes run 6x.75mm, 6x1mm. and .25x28. The possibles shop will help you out.

Vaarg

Old 10-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

you are correct that the original question had to do with the wrench. I am beyond that now as I removed the nipple with a 1/4 inch open end wrench. Now my question centers around finding the correct cap for the nipple. If you look above where I posted the size of the nipple on my rifle, it is almost twice the diameter of a #11. I am assuming it is a musket nipple and can't seem to find caps for it. By the way, I removed it and replaced it with a standard #11 but am taken back by the difference in size and the hole of the two. The larger one has a much bigger hole, as I am sure you know.

Can I just use the #11? Probably! Since I have not fired it at all, I guess it would work since the #11 came on the rifle (according to the manual). What is the purpose of using a larger nipple? To get a better "boom?"

I am not sure since BP is all new and strange to me. Just trying to find out.

Sorry to belabor the point.

Thanks for answering.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #25

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Top Hat nipples used on muskets and large bore weapons also has a larger vent. The vent is the smaller hole in the bottom of the nipple. The Larger Top Hat style cap produces a longer stream of fire to ignite more bulky charges of course powder such as 1 1/2 F, 1 F, or 2 F.

The larger musket nipples serve no purpose on standard hunting rifles. That said you would do well to get a high grade nipple Ampeco bronze, TOW etc. The bubble pac nipples are often poor quality causing reduced fire stream or catching on the cap skirt and causing misfires.
Solon Likes This 
Old 10-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #26

Howdy:

go to the following URL -

Track of the Wolf
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/64/1
or
The Possibles Shop:
http://www.possibleshop.com/s-s-nipples-cb.html

They can identify your particular firearm, the correct nipple and the recommended cap size.

ALL TRESO nipple made of AMPCO (a very tough metal) are generally optimized for an #11 cap.

vaarg

Old 10-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #27

Likes Given: 1

I recently built a Maynard carbine and used a musket nipple that proved problematic in that musket caps were difficult to find..Finally I ordered a 1000 CCI musket caps which was a mistake..The CCI musket caps are marked "for re-enactors"..Discovered after purchase that those caps are made less potent so they dont blow apart and injure those others around you..Guys using them to actually set off a powder charge are having misfires..Better to order German made musket caps from this guy-
http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Old 10-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #28

Liked 245 Times on 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboompa
you are correct that the original question had to do with the wrench. I am beyond that now as I removed the nipple with a 1/4 inch open end wrench. Now my question centers around finding the correct cap for the nipple. If you look above where I posted the size of the nipple on my rifle, it is almost twice the diameter of a #11. I am assuming it is a musket nipple and can't seem to find caps for it. By the way, I removed it and replaced it with a standard #11 but am taken back by the difference in size and the hole of the two. The larger one has a much bigger hole, as I am sure you know.

Can I just use the #11? Probably! Since I have not fired it at all, I guess it would work since the #11 came on the rifle (according to the manual). What is the purpose of using a larger nipple? To get a better "boom?"

I am not sure since BP is all new and strange to me. Just trying to find out.

Sorry to belabor the point.

Thanks for answering.
You will be just fine with the #11 nipple and caps, you will never know the difference. With the modern caps of today you will get plenty of spark to fire the gun. The only advantage that I could even imagine is if you ever had to it would be easier to shove some power into the nipple.

Why would you ever need to you ask. I hope you never do but it has happened. Your new to bp or you overly excited trying to get off a second shot. You shove a patched ball down the barrel place the cap and fire and realize you forgot your powder. Now the correct thing to do is get out your puller (a small self starting screw made to attach to your ramrod) and pull it out. I have seen people fail miserably at this.(I had to pull one for a guy at the range just the other day, he was just lucky I was shooting my BP tha day as he didn't have a puller) anyway if you make too many failed attempts the puller will not work. So you start shoving small amount of power in the clean out hole the small screw at the end of where you nipple is. Or if it won't come out anymore like mine you use the nipple. Remember small amounts. Small amounts of power place the cap and fire. Do this small amounts untill you hear plop and the ball is on the ground. Small amounts the farther the ball moves down the barrel the more danger in using too much powder.

Sorry if this was more info than you wanted.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Nipple identified at last

Attending a local gunshow yesterday I found one table dedicated to muzzle loaders. I had taken the oversize nipple with me in hopes it could be identified. Sure enough, the gentleman said my oversize nipple was for musket caps and I should put the #11 in my gun as they work fine. I purchased some #11 caps and have installed the #11 on my rifle. Now to the range!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #30

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sorry OP, I got nothing for you on this one.

But has anyone else read the title of this thread and been surprised that String1946 wasn't the starter or lead contributor??