Nipple Life
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Nipple Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Nipple Life

My revolver is having problems when I use it I have to strike the caps a few times to get em to ignite, I cant figure out if my nipples are just too worn out? How do you replace them?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Nipple Life

You should be able to tell from looking at them if they need replacing. If you have not been snapping them without a cap, they generally don't go bad. I am assuming by your question that you don't remove them when you clean the firearm after shooting. You should always do that. You need a nipple wrench of the correct size for your gun. They just unscrew. I would try cleaning them good first, pipe cleaners work really well. Put a screen in your sink in case you drop it and with a pipe cleaner swab out the inside under hot running water. You will need to dry them good (another pipe cleaner). Hold them up to a light and you should see it shining through the hole. I usually put a light coat of oil on a clean pipe cleaner and swab one more time before putting it up. If they need replacing you will be able to tell by looking at the end where the hammer strikes and see if it has been flattened down. That doesn't sound like the case since you are still getting caps on them. Like I started off, unless you have been dry firing the gun without caps, they last a long time. I have two Colts that are over 25 years old and still have the original nipples. You can buy new nipples from a vendor such as Dixie Gun Works or go straight to VTI gun parts for most guns.

Last edited by PRM; 10-16-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nipples don't generally go "bad" they do get mushroomed over from alot of dry firing. They unscrew from the cylinder. If you replace yours they may be difficult to remove if you have never done so before.

If your pistol is not popping caps then I would look at the hammer spring or hammer area for the problem. What type/model of percussion revolver is it?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #4

Sounds like the nipples are clogged. Before loading, poke the hole with a old fashion lady's hat pin, or you can use a partly straightened paper clip; either will make a wonderful nipple prick.

Gun Control is a MUST! If you cannot control your gun get one you CAN!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
JBB

If the caps fire after you strike them more than once, they may not be seating right. I use #10 Remingtons on my Uberti "58 Remmie repro. They seat well but I have to pinch them a bit to keep them from falling off. I've read that CCI caps cause problems for some folks, but I've never used them myself. If you have never removed the nipples, you may need to spray them with a good penetrating oil and let them sit awhile. I've yet to find a nipple wrench I can't break, so you might want to have more than one on hand. I put a tiny bit of anti-seize compound on mine when I reassemble, be careful not to plug the holes with it. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Man, I hate it when the nipples get worn out. Fortunately they can be replaced.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Man, I hate it when the nipples get worn out. Fortunately they can be replaced.
But if you're married that could get expensive...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"