Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Nipple Life (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/nipple-life-2324/)

Axle 10-16-2007 03:24 PM

Nipple Life

My revolver is having problems when I use it I have to strike the caps a few times to get em to ignite, I cant figure out if my nipples are just too worn out? How do you replace them?

PRM 10-16-2007 06:02 PM

Nipple Life

You should be able to tell from looking at them if they need replacing. If you have not been snapping them without a cap, they generally don't go bad. I am assuming by your question that you don't remove them when you clean the firearm after shooting. You should always do that. You need a nipple wrench of the correct size for your gun. They just unscrew. I would try cleaning them good first, pipe cleaners work really well. Put a screen in your sink in case you drop it and with a pipe cleaner swab out the inside under hot running water. You will need to dry them good (another pipe cleaner). Hold them up to a light and you should see it shining through the hole. I usually put a light coat of oil on a clean pipe cleaner and swab one more time before putting it up. If they need replacing you will be able to tell by looking at the end where the hammer strikes and see if it has been flattened down. That doesn't sound like the case since you are still getting caps on them. Like I started off, unless you have been dry firing the gun without caps, they last a long time. I have two Colts that are over 25 years old and still have the original nipples. You can buy new nipples from a vendor such as Dixie Gun Works or go straight to VTI gun parts for most guns.

1984cj 10-17-2007 02:25 PM

Nipples don't generally go "bad" they do get mushroomed over from alot of dry firing. They unscrew from the cylinder. If you replace yours they may be difficult to remove if you have never done so before.

If your pistol is not popping caps then I would look at the hammer spring or hammer area for the problem. What type/model of percussion revolver is it?

deerhuntguy 01-10-2008 11:41 PM

Sounds like the nipples are clogged. Before loading, poke the hole with a old fashion lady's hat pin, or you can use a partly straightened paper clip; either will make a wonderful nipple prick.

JBB 04-20-2008 11:51 PM

If the caps fire after you strike them more than once, they may not be seating right. I use #10 Remingtons on my Uberti "58 Remmie repro. They seat well but I have to pinch them a bit to keep them from falling off. I've read that CCI caps cause problems for some folks, but I've never used them myself. If you have never removed the nipples, you may need to spray them with a good penetrating oil and let them sit awhile. I've yet to find a nipple wrench I can't break, so you might want to have more than one on hand. I put a tiny bit of anti-seize compound on mine when I reassemble, be careful not to plug the holes with it. Good luck.

robocop10mm 04-21-2008 02:35 PM

Man, I hate it when the nipples get worn out. Fortunately they can be replaced.

RL357Mag 05-04-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 22212)
Man, I hate it when the nipples get worn out. Fortunately they can be replaced.

But if you're married that could get expensive...