Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > New toy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Hello,

If I regulate the sights at 40 yards with 50gns BP or BP equivalent, where should this put me with a patched round ball at 25, 75, and 100yds?

Is 50gns humane for deer? If not, how would sighting in a with 50gns affect trajectory if I used 70gns (assuming accuracy?)

This does shoot well with 100gns as well, but not something I want to do a lot. I tried it and I was wearing out fairly quickly. I would hazard a guess that I can only shoot that load with no pad because my shoulder is used to years of slug gun shooting. (My weak side shoulder doesn't even like the 50gn load.)

I also have this lil' bet that I'll bark squirrel with the thing; I'm a big squirrel hunter and the man said he'll send me a coonskin cap if I manage to do this, so that's where I'll need the most accuracy

Anyway, if I regulate the sights at 40 yards with 50gns BP or BP equivalent, where should this put me with a patched round ball at 25, 75, and 100yds? How would that change with 70 and 100 grain charges?

Thanks!

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 09-25-2010, 03:42 AM   #12

Buffalo Arms sells a recoil pad that would be good for you. A gentleman I know really likes it when shooting his 45-90 and 50-90...he has a bad shoulder and it doesn't bother him with the pad slipped on.
PQ Shooter's Friend Gun Recoil Pad

Far as the trajectory info...best advice would be get out and shoot.
Have shot head shot many squirrels and rabbits with my .50 and .54 with reduced loads of 35 grs. of Goex. For deer I feed them a different combo...the .50 likes 70 grs. of 2f Swiss with patched ball...the .54 like 90 grs. of Goex Cartridge Grade and the little .40 like 70 grs. of 3f Goex.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 AM   #13

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Thanks.

The closest I can find to real black around here is Pyrodex.

I'm going to have to go with that or 777. Not much choice. I hate hazmat fees.

Thanks,

Josh
I looked for black powder in Ohio and only found one place in Lodi, Ohio. (3 + hours west from you) It's a great store and may be worth your time to visit.

Log Cabin Shop, Serving the Black Powder Community for Over 57 Years