Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > new in the black powder world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new in the black powder world

just got a pietta model 1858 new army buffalo pistol . have not shot it yet i cant wait any one got any info or tips on this gun it has a brass frame if that helps ? thank you .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Those are some cool looking revolvers! I have the regular remington NMA 1858 replica & enjoy shooting it very much. Only problem i had was figuring out the best size & company caps to use; apparently, the numbering/sizing system doesn't exactly line up across different manufacturers. I use the pre-gooped wonder wads under my lead/over the powder.

With the brass frame, i bleve you want to shoot lighter powder loads for long frame life.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
KAB

Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaf333 View Post
just got a pietta model 1858 new army buffalo pistol . have not shot it yet i cant wait any one got any info or tips on this gun it has a brass frame if that helps ? thank you .
Welcome , and I would stear clear of Tripple 777 in the brassers unless light loads are being used , Pyrodreck is fine , 3fff Holy Black Powder is better , and you can also use 2ff Holy Black for even less worry in a brass frame .
Keep your loads in the 20's not 30's ! Grains that is .
It will take .454 round Ball . It will take number 10 caps , or pinch your 11's to keep um snug on the nipples .
I use grease over my balls not wads . You can use wads if you want .
Be safe , have fun , and pictures are mandatory , or it didn't happen !