new to black powder
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > new to black powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Default new to black powder

im looking at a traditions kentucky parts kit percussion rifle. im wondering if its a good gun to start out with? i have some experience with black powder guns like cleaning, taking them down just never shot them before. i like how i could do the stock and put it together.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1753 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9667

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilder View Post
im looking at a traditions kentucky parts kit percussion rifle. im wondering if its a good gun to start out with? i have some experience with black powder guns like cleaning, taking them down just never shot them before. i like how i could do the stock and put it together.
When I was in my teens, my dad brought home an 1861 Colt Navy kit that he picked up at the PX. Some of the best times that we had with each other are from that father son build. I am pretty sure that you will enjoy the build, and it will mean so much more to you when you fire off the first round from that rifle. Take your time, and enjoy the build. Yes, you picked up a good first BP rifle.

The besy way to learn the shooting end of the hobby is to find others in your area who shoot black powder. Since you have exprience with cleaning and take down, you already have a group to shoot with. Listen to them, and read the owner's manual. If you have ant questions, post them here. There are plenty of us here that are willing to help out when it is needed. Welcome to your new addiction!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

When I was in my teens, my dad brought home an 1861 Colt Navy kit that he picked up at the PX. Some of the best times that we had with each other are from that father son build. I am pretty sure that you will enjoy the build, and it will mean so much more to you when you fire off the first round from that rifle. Take your time, and enjoy the build. Yes, you picked up a good first BP rifle.
i plan on doing it with my dad also, i havent picked it up yet but just wanted to make sure it wasnt a bad gun. i plan on getting the kentucky pistol kit after to have even more fun!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I would recommend researching the project before you order the gun. It is a good gun but even a parts kit requires a certain level of skill in order to end up with a decent product. It is a relatively labor intensive project that will require a decent amount of tools,skill and time. Building a bp gun is a labor of love. I've seen a lot of people purchase kits that never get finished.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I would recommend researching the project before you order the gun. It is a good gun but even a parts kit requires a certain level of skill in order to end up with a decent product. It is a relatively labor intensive project that will require a decent amount of tools,skill and time. Building a bp gun is a labor of love. I've seen a lot of people purchase kits that never get finished.
whats involved with the kit?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Is the barrel already blued? Do you know much about wood work and finishing?

Why the kentucky style? Doesn't seem like the easiest model to build.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Is the barrel already blued? Do you know much about wood work and finishing?

Why the kentucky style? Doesn't seem like the easiest model to build.
no the barrel is not blued, but i knew that. i know how to stain wood and finish it. what are some easier kits out there? that was really the first one i saw and liked it

Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I was thinking Dixie had them rated by difficulty...

Quote:
"Do you offer any kit guns? How difficult are they to build?
Kit guns offer the muzzleloader the opportunity to participate in the building, customizing and eventually shooting of their own firearm. Dixie currently offers over 60 kit guns including cap and ball revolvers, pistols, Kentucky , Jaeger and Hawken style rifles, military longarms, trade guns and shotguns. We offer kits at the beginner, intermediate and advanced level. Kits in the beginner and intermediate levels are 95% inletted, require minor fitting of metal parts and sanding and finishing of the stock. Intermediate level kits also require polishing and bluing or browning of metal parts. Advanced level kits will also require some stock inletting. Dixie has all of the tools and materials you would need to complete any kit or to build a muzzleloader from scratch."
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_162_192 I think you would have to call them to find which kit is for a beginner and which is more difficult.

Traditions probably would offer similar advice, if you call them. I would think something like a Hawken-type would be easier, but you should ask them.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 11-27-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #9

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 240

It can be a fun project. It does not require any special tools. It can turn out really well even for beginners. The main thing is to take-your-time. Don't try to get it done in a weekend or something like that. If you decide to go for it remember slow and sure is best. Include us in the project too - take pictures and report progress along the way. Many of us on this forum have done these projects.

I see Academy Sports had them for $239

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
It can be a fun project. It does not require any special tools. It can turn out really well even for beginners. The main thing is to take-your-time. Don't try to get it done in a weekend or something like that. If you decide to go for it remember slow and sure is best. Include us in the project too - take pictures and report progress along the way. Many of us on this forum have done these projects.

I see Academy Sports had them for $239
i think that the hardest part is going to be the metal. im looking at the "birchwood casey plum brown barrel finish". do you think that would be decent for it?