Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Need VooDoo Man (I Need Patches Read Please!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

A few thoughts ...

Patching material should always be a very tighly woven unsized, washed, never permanent press or "wrinkle-free, 100% cotton material. Pillow ticking is very good but/and comes in a variety of thicknesses. You'll have to find the right one.

Blown patches (like yours) can come from a fit that is too tight (they are cut during loading in a muzzle without sufficient crown) or too loose ("cut" by gasses blowing by the ball/patch combo).

A rough bore can also contribute.

Be careful of any patching when hunting. Be very, very careful of wasp nest or other wadding. Both will start a fire if smoldering patches/wadding find dry tinder.

I assume you are shoot a 50 caliber rifle. The land-to-land dimension in these can vary greatly. Keep trying until you find a ball/patch combo that leaves a hole free patch after firing. It will make a WORLD of difference for you.

Feel free to follow up if you have questions ... and, keep your powder dry!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstrain49 View Post
.015 patch should solve your problem.. The patch is blowing apart due to blow by. Wads are fine in a revolver, not in a rifle. If you can't find Irish linen, get the tightest weave cotton you can find. I take my micrometer to the fabric store and in a few min. Iv'e got my patch material. Just a reminder, there is a lot of good information on the 'net, there is also a whole lot of crap. Verify to your satisfaction prior to shooting.
To make the weave tighter wash it and put it in the dryer this will shrink it and make it tighter.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 AM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Patches

I use Army rifle patches. The 5.56 ones work perfect for my .50 ca. ball rifles. And I don't even have to trim them, just lub them with Bore Butter and run it down the tube. Very accurate in my Hawken.
Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge