Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > need some info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default need some info

I have a traditions muzzleloader in .50 cal percussion, my dad gave me it for a present and it was his but it hasent been shot in a good number of years it's not rusty and the barrel looks good but is it still safe to shoot?

I got read some things online about some CVA and traditions muzzleloaders blowing up and what not. Would it be safe to shoot this with some low power loads or should I just hang it up on the wall and fork out the money for a new inline?

I realize this might be hard to answer without some picks but I don't have a camera that works at the moment sorry.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #2

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

There's no definitive answer to your question simply due to the fact none of us can inspect the rifle in question for condition and possible damage. First thing to do is drop the rod down the bbl (keeping all body parts away from the muzzle of course) and mark the rod with a piece of masking tape and comparing to bbl length. (by laying the rod alongside the bbl with tape marker even with the muzzle, other end of the rod should reach approximately to the nipple location. IF its substantially shorter the weapon could well still be loaded.) to assure yourself the rifle isnt loaded. OR if it is to safely clear the charge and projectile.
Is it clean? or was it put away dirty after being fired? Pull the nipple and inspect. is it clean or dirty with primer/powder fouling? A snug cleaning patch wet with HOT water on a rod run down the bbl should give a good indication the rifle has or has not been cleaned. Assuming it has been cleaned the patch should come out fairly clean, though perhaps with a bit of rust residue if not properly dried and lubed. A bore light can then be used to look down the bbl and visually inspect for corrosion/damage. A small LED light is availble that can be dropped down the bore lighting the bbl from the breech end.
If inspection shows no problems then more than likely its safe to shoot starting with light loads and working up a little.
Another option is take it to a qualified gunsmith for inspection.

As far as proper cleaning, hot water is the tried and true method. A modified nipple with a piece of plastic tube is availble to replace the stock nipple. Drop the tube into a pail full of HOT water, and pump a cleaning rod fitted with a swabup and down the length of the bbl repeatedliy untill all powder residue has been removed, then start dry patching the bbl until patches come out clean and dry. By using hot water, this heats the metal up and helps with drying. Stand the rifle in a corner with the muzzle down for an hour or so, dry patch again to be sure no moisture remains, and run a lubed patch down the bbl coating the metal as a rust preventative, being sure to dry patch the bbl prior to shooting the next time.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #3

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The CVA's that blew up were inlines. Traditions sells pretty decent stuff. make sure its not loaded before you load it. Clean it up good and pop a cap on it before you load it to make sure everything is clear of oil. Don't use petroleum based oil in the bore.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

hiwall Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

You could always remote-fire the first load with it clamped in a sled. My Traditions pistol and rifle work fine; they don't look "traditional" though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #5

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

And a .50 WILL kill bear...

Old 06-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a T/C .50 cal Renegade, it fires round or conical. I use conical Maxi Hunters while hunting. It goes completely through every animal I have shot so far, numerous white tail and one 300+ pound bear. I use 80 grains of powder and it is a pleasure to shoot. When the smoke clears there is a dead animal out there.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The riffles that blew up were Cva not triditions. I have read that they had some vary week metal in them causing them to rupture . The triditions and the one I have look to be well made.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniedbalski View Post
The riffles that blew up were Cva not triditions. I have read that they had some vary week metal in them causing them to rupture . The triditions and the one I have look to be well made.
I don't do inlines so I was kinda surprised to find they were both made by Ardesa in Spain. The CVA's blew up because CVA advertised them to be able to take 150 grain loads which was 50 grains more than the manufacturer recommended. There's been some sold by Traditions that blew up also.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php