Need help id'ing this musket / rifle maybe Civil War

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Need help id'ing this musket / rifle maybe Civil War

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help id'ing this musket / rifle maybe Civil War

Looking for help id'ing this gun. I tried to clean it up some. It was held together with odd screws, so also, looking for help on where to try to find parts for it, care, improving the appearance. I have refinished gun stocks with some success, and any info would be greatly appreciated. (esp what is safe for me to do, and what is best left to a pro!!)
there are numbers engraved on barrel, and mmmaslin warranted on the right side plate. barrel length is 39", gun length is 54 1/2, inside opening of barrel is 3/4", thanks Trish (have more pics if needed, or any measurements etc)

gun-006.jpg   gun-001.jpg   gun-015.jpg   gun-005.jpg   gun-009.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Could you go over to Introductions and introduce yourself to us?

Also, before you do too much "cleaning up" of the rifle, you might want to check the value. Old weapons are like antique furniture. If you take off original finishes you can seriously ruin any "monatary value" of the weapon.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 01-25-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have no idea what it is but it sure is beautiful!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #4

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

If you lock has MMMaslin on it this will give you some idea of the age of the rifle.

"Ohio" rifles used locks marked warranted. Michael M. Maslin was a lockmaker only located in Baltimore MD 1822-1833, and in Philadelphia PA to 1847.

As a lock maker his locks were used on many makes and models of rifles durring that time frame. I am still looking to see if I can find your rifle and get more information on it.

It is possable and more then likely that your rifle is older then the civil war. Take great care in what you do to that weapon sense it may be of some value and making changes to it could take away some of that value.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #5

Also any names, numbers, or identifying marks will be helpful in helping to find this rifle

Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #6

Default marks on gun

Hi,
thanks so much -
mm maslin warranted is on the one side plate
on the barrel is engraved L652745549285R,
LOOKING DOWN THE BARREL TO SHOOT IT IS ON THE LEFT SIDE, CLOSEST TO THE TRIGGER NOT THE END OF THE BARREL.
(FORGIVE MY LACK OF PROPER GUN TERMINOLOGY)
I DO NOT SEE ANY OTHER MARKS, IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT WOULD HELPFUL IN DETERMINING WHAT IT IS??
I ALSO NEED TO TRY TO FIND THE PROPER HARDWARE TO REPLACE THE ODD SCREWS. I AM NOT SURE WHERE THE GENTLEMAN GOT IT FROM, THAT I BOUGHT IT FROM, HE WAS JUST TIRED OF IT SITTING AROUND AND NOT DOING ANYTHING WITH IT.

It is never too late to be who you might have been. (not sure who wrote that)

Old 02-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Contact David at Track of the Wolf for proper parts and screws to put your gun back together.

Track of the Wolf - Muzzle Loading & Black Powder Guns Kits, Parts, Accoutrements, Rendezvous Gear & Primitive Americana They have a contact phone number.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #8

I would like to see the opening of the barrel if you can get a good pic of it