Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Need help id'ing this musket / rifle maybe Civil War (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/need-help-iding-musket-rifle-maybe-civil-war-22549/)

SANULAV 01-24-2010 05:51 PM

Need help id'ing this musket / rifle maybe Civil War

5 Attachment(s)
Looking for help id'ing this gun. I tried to clean it up some. It was held together with odd screws, so also, looking for help on where to try to find parts for it, care, improving the appearance. I have refinished gun stocks with some success, and any info would be greatly appreciated. (esp what is safe for me to do, and what is best left to a pro!!)
there are numbers engraved on barrel, and mmmaslin warranted on the right side plate. barrel length is 39", gun length is 54 1/2, inside opening of barrel is 3/4", thanks Trish (have more pics if needed, or any measurements etc)

Glasshartt 01-24-2010 07:22 PM

Welcome to the forum. Could you go over to Introductions and introduce yourself to us?

Also, before you do too much "cleaning up" of the rifle, you might want to check the value. Old weapons are like antique furniture. If you take off original finishes you can seriously ruin any "monatary value" of the weapon.

RevDerb 01-24-2010 11:18 PM

I have no idea what it is but it sure is beautiful!

opaww 01-25-2010 09:48 AM

If you lock has MMMaslin on it this will give you some idea of the age of the rifle.

"Ohio" rifles used locks marked warranted. Michael M. Maslin was a lockmaker only located in Baltimore MD 1822-1833, and in Philadelphia PA to 1847.

As a lock maker his locks were used on many makes and models of rifles durring that time frame. I am still looking to see if I can find your rifle and get more information on it.

It is possable and more then likely that your rifle is older then the civil war. Take great care in what you do to that weapon sense it may be of some value and making changes to it could take away some of that value.

opaww 01-25-2010 10:07 AM

Also any names, numbers, or identifying marks will be helpful in helping to find this rifle

SANULAV 01-26-2010 01:06 AM

marks on gun

Hi,
thanks so much -
mm maslin warranted is on the one side plate
on the barrel is engraved L652745549285R,
LOOKING DOWN THE BARREL TO SHOOT IT IS ON THE LEFT SIDE, CLOSEST TO THE TRIGGER NOT THE END OF THE BARREL.
(FORGIVE MY LACK OF PROPER GUN TERMINOLOGY)
I DO NOT SEE ANY OTHER MARKS, IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT WOULD HELPFUL IN DETERMINING WHAT IT IS??
I ALSO NEED TO TRY TO FIND THE PROPER HARDWARE TO REPLACE THE ODD SCREWS. I AM NOT SURE WHERE THE GENTLEMAN GOT IT FROM, THAT I BOUGHT IT FROM, HE WAS JUST TIRED OF IT SITTING AROUND AND NOT DOING ANYTHING WITH IT.

It is never too late to be who you might have been. (not sure who wrote that)

W. C. Quantrill 02-06-2010 12:33 AM

Contact David at Track of the Wolf for proper parts and screws to put your gun back together.

Track of the Wolf - Muzzle Loading & Black Powder Guns Kits, Parts, Accoutrements, Rendezvous Gear & Primitive Americana They have a contact phone number.

opaww 02-06-2010 11:12 PM

I would like to see the opening of the barrel if you can get a good pic of it