Need help identifying musketloader

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Need help identifying musketloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help identifying musketloader

Trying to figure out who makes the gun and when its from . Think its from 1811 wince it has that stamped on barrel. On top of barrel its stamped PM above and then either IR or tR next to 1811. One the bottom of the stock and where the trigger was its stamped TC. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

197.jpg   203.jpg   198.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #2

Can't tell much from the pics. A GUESS is that its a brown bess, but it could be anything. Too bad the lock is missing. Start comparing furniture, barrel length, caliber, rifled or smooth-bore, stock features, etc with what you can find on the web. Historical sites and the company Track of the Wolf may be a good place to start.

Good luck

Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks familiar. This time I'll try to engage brain before mouth/email.

My Model 1816 Type I has a similar trigger guard. I have yet to measure them to see if the 1816 Type I could be modified to fit your Massachusetts milita musket, I do recall the finial is a diffeent length though similar shape. Width somewhat different also. Later M1816's had the sling swivel attached to the guard bow, not to that stud through the guard as on earlier muskets, including my Mass milita musket.

I still like your musket. Think if you could find a man skilled in Heliarc a.k.a. TIG a.k.a. Gas Tungsten Arc Welding he could build up some metal on an 1795 or Whitney triggerguard from The Rifle Shoppe. Then file it down to fit. If you do choose to have something built up by welding be sure the weldor understands that you want plain, mild carbon steel weld wire. He might think he'd be doing you a favor by welding the guard with stainless.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I just picked up one in similar shape. Mine is a cut down 1861 Springfield stock with a 45-70 trap door barrel thats been converted to muzzle loader.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 02-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #5

Are there any markings on the butt plate?