Need help to ID these dueling pistols

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Need help to ID these dueling pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help to ID these dueling pistols

I just recently inherited some of my grandfather's guns. There is a set of what it looks like to me, some black powder dueling pistols. I don't know from what era and I don't know if they are simply replicas. How can you tell if something is a replica? The guns are in excellent condition as they have been stored in a display case. Can anybody tell me what these are? If you can please send me an e-mail at jsajulan@mail.org

civil-war-pistols.jpg

Last edited by Jason; 05-23-2009 at 05:31 AM. Reason: add e-mail

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #2

Liked 101 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

No idea but i must say they are very nice guns indeed.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #3

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

They look like CVA's

Old 05-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Well Justin we will help you out but you need to give us some information. Is their any markings on the locks or barrel's? Can you get some pics of the markings? Most firearms, even of that era, will at least have a name stamped on them somewhere. Help us so we can help you!

Old 05-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #5

If they're CVA and I'm pretty sure they are (they're not original by any stretch of the imagination) the back side of the lock plate will most likely have Spain stamped in it and if they're not kit guns will have Spanish proofs on the bottom of the barrel under the stock.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #6

Default help to ID black powder dueling pistols

These bear a close resemblance to a pair of English percussion pistols I saw on an auction site. Here is a link to those:
Pair of English Percussion Pistols,*

Unfortunately, the auction site didn't have any info on the maker listed with the gun. But if they ARE English percussion, and possibly from the same maker, that might be a place to start to search.

I hope this helps!

Historybug

Old 06-30-2009, 02:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by historybug View Post
These bear a close resemblance to a pair of English percussion pistols I saw on an auction site. Here is a link to those:
Pair of English Percussion Pistols,*

Unfortunately, the auction site didn't have any info on the maker listed with the gun. But if they ARE English percussion, and possibly from the same maker, that might be a place to start to search.

I hope this helps!

Historybug

Other than being single shot muzzleloaders those bear no resemblance whatsoever to what he has.

Here's ya one for 75.00. CVA 50 Cal Plains Pistol - North Carolina Hunting And Fishing Forums

Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 AM   #8

Hi you all, I'm new to this forum. I have a few Black powder pistols,revolvers.rifles and CVA SXS12gauge black power. I also have the same
pistol as Jason. Right down to the engraving on the lock and hammer. The sights are the same and even has blued metal ram rod. Mine is Dikar 45 pistol made in Spain in the 60s or 70s. I have had for awhile. I shot it when I got it home. Used a 440 round ball and .020 pillow ticking. at 25yds, It hit the target but no groups. It does shoot a lot better then my Philly derringer. It to is a cap lock 45cal made in Spain by Jukar. Neither one of them are at the top of the quality list. I don't know if it is the same as yours. But, I think all three came from the same litter.
Will take pictures tomorrow and post.
Shoot Strait
MUZZLESMOKE
If you love shooting BP, burn it in a Pedersoli 45cal Pennsylvania long rifle.

Last edited by MUZZLESMOKE; 01-20-2010 at 03:40 AM.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #9

Jason,

Here is my Dikar 45 cal, made in Spain. It is repro of some pistol of the 1900s. As you can see it is like yours. There should be a makers name on the barrel. Also where it was made.

[ATTACH]guns-015.jpg[/ATTACH]

guns-014.jpg  

MUZZLESMOKE If you shoot black powder shoot it out of Pedersoli.....
Laws are spider webs; they hold the weak and delicate who are caught in their meshes, but are torn in pieces by the rich and powerful. OUR GOVERNMENT