Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Navy 1851

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Navy 1851

So I was at the local gun shop this weekend and saw a reproduction Navy 1851 cap and ball revolver. I've been looking at stuff online and I'm thinking it would be a lot of fun. I've never shot a blackpowder hand gun, fired a couple blackpowder rifles, but had them loaded for me. I know very little about blackpowder so I though I would ask for some pointers on it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #2

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default Navy 1851

I bought a replica of a Remington 1858 New Model Army Revolver just a few months ago. The one thing I was warned about that wasn't apparent, was to make sure to put the bore butter over the balls after loading. One chamber can ignite the others and you'll have all the chambers going off! :O

Stay safe!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The Sacred Black is not for everybody, but it's fun and can be addicting. It's also much simpler than it initially seems. Just take your time and be safe. There's a lot of mythology, so do your fact checking. It's best if you can talk to a few folks that shoot black powder.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Buy and READ LYMAN's Black Powder Handbook.

Do a few searches on You Tube, and you will find some good instructional video's on loading.

Use "over powder" lubricated felt wads over the powder and under the ball, and you should not need to add Bore Buter over the balls.

The internet is a great source for information. Google "Black Powder" and find and read everything you can find relating to BP pistols.

Do not underestimate or ignore cleaning. It is not as bad as many people make it out to be, but you DO have to clean your pistol every time.

TXnorton

Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Those cap and ball revolvers are a blast (pun intended).

Most important is to read the instruction booklet. Do not overload the powder. Use only approved powder and proper sized balls. Clean after each use. Also, after you get one, make sure you clean and dry everything including the nipples.

Oh, did I mention to read the instruction booklet? All of it. More than once...learn it, live it, love it.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!