Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > My newest acquisition.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My newest acquisition.

Well here it is. My Thompson Center .54 cal Hawken muzzleloader.

Also I have a couple questions.
1. What should I use to clean the nipple and the corresponding threads in the barrel?

2. There is a little rust on the underside of the barrel, is there anything that will get it off with minimal damage to bluing?

Last edited by Duddn; 01-24-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #2

Duddn, The nipple is just a soak-er. By that I mean warm water and a little dish soap. Let it soak for awhile. Now the nipple hole. If you need to clean the whole gun. If it is the type which you can remove the barrel. Do so and in to the tub. Hot water and soap and your normal cleaning brushes. If the nipple hole is caked up and rusted. I use an old 22 bore brush and powder blast. It takes a little while but it can done. After you get the hole and the nipple clean. Use pipe cleaners for the inside of nipple. And the nipple hole all the way in to the barrel. By that I mean the small hole from the nipple into the powder charge. Now you need to dry all parts, some people use a blow dryer, the oven for pistols. I have used both but I like the dry patch by the way you should use for barrel before drying with heat. Make sure the patch comes out clean. After everything is dry I use bore butter on nipple and interior of barrel. Good looking TC 54
The little rust if not to bad, oo steel wool and oil. There is nothing I know of that you can do one spot. And not be noticed with out doing the whole barrel.
Just do the best you can and keep it well oiled.

MUZZLESMOKE If you shoot black powder shoot it out of Pedersoli.....
Laws are spider webs; they hold the weak and delicate who are caught in their meshes, but are torn in pieces by the rich and powerful. OUR GOVERNMENT

Last edited by MUZZLESMOKE; 01-26-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well thanks for all the info, Im sure it will help. I found that I will need to get some cleaning supplies since the jag did not come with it, guess the guy lost it. I am waiting until I give it a good through cleaning before I shoot it.