My new tackdriver Rifle/Lyman Deerstalker
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > My new tackdriver Rifle/Lyman Deerstalker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My new tackdriver Rifle/Lyman Deerstalker

Guys, I have been shooting blackpowder guns for 20+ years. I have built 3 kits during that time, 2 CVA percussion pistols( Colonial and a Kentucky) and a Thompson center Hawken. The TC 50 cal has always been extremely accurate and will consistantly shoot 3-4 inch groups at 75 yards with balls. Pretty damn good IMO and plenty good enough to take game. A few months ago I got that hair in my hind quarter to buy another rifle and I settled on a Lyman "deerstalker" carbine I bought it online for around 200 bucks. It wasnt until last weekend I got a chance to shoot it and it suprised all of us at the range that day. Its a 54 cal and with Lyman balls/70 grains of Blackpowder it is shooting consistant 1.5 inch groups from the bench at 75 yards That is better accuracy than many of my modern guns. It has about the same accuracy with the mini balls although I havent put enough of those downrange to be sure I have the right load and bullet combo for this gun.
Anyway if all of these production guns shoot this well that is one hell of a deal on a high quality, accurate hunting gun. It has modern sights which wont make the traditionalists happy but it sure in the heck has a smile on my face every time I pull the trigger.......................John

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is some great accuracy for the price! Did you get the stainless steel model?

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 12-18-2007, 11:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
That is some great accuracy for the price! Did you get the stainless steel model?

You aint kidding, suprised me and still suprises me. I got the standard blued model..............John

Old 05-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I too have been a muzzleloader for about 20 years, and I found the most accurate projectile for my .50 rifle ( CVA Frontier kit) is the Lee R.E.A.L. bullet in 325 gr.. Of course it depends on the rifling twist - 1 in 48" is ideal for connicals. I can hit soda cans at 100 yds. all day. I use FFFg powder however. 60-70 grains. I bought that Frontier Rifle kit back when Service Merchandise was in business in 1989 and it cost $79. What a buy! I aways wanted a Lyman Great Plains...too expensive these days. I would love to buy a .32 Squirrel Rifle but I know of none for under $400 except a Traditions Crockett rifle, and $400 is a bit much.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-04-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #5

Default gunsandoptics.com

I owned a Lyman deerstalker carbine at one time myself and as I recall, it was not only accurate with round balls, but several conicals and some sabots. It has to be a BEST BUT in the mktplace. Dan