Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   My new tackdriver Rifle/Lyman Deerstalker (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/my-new-tackdriver-rifle-lyman-deerstalker-2786/)

zepman 12-18-2007 03:51 AM

My new tackdriver Rifle/Lyman Deerstalker

Guys, I have been shooting blackpowder guns for 20+ years. I have built 3 kits during that time, 2 CVA percussion pistols( Colonial and a Kentucky) and a Thompson center Hawken. The TC 50 cal has always been extremely accurate and will consistantly shoot 3-4 inch groups at 75 yards with balls. Pretty damn good IMO and plenty good enough to take game. A few months ago I got that hair in my hind quarter to buy another rifle and I settled on a Lyman "deerstalker" carbine I bought it online for around 200 bucks. It wasnt until last weekend I got a chance to shoot it and it suprised all of us at the range that day. Its a 54 cal and with Lyman balls/70 grains of Blackpowder it is shooting consistant 1.5 inch groups from the bench at 75 yards:confused: That is better accuracy than many of my modern guns. It has about the same accuracy with the mini balls although I havent put enough of those downrange to be sure I have the right load and bullet combo for this gun.
Anyway if all of these production guns shoot this well that is one hell of a deal on a high quality, accurate hunting gun. It has modern sights which wont make the traditionalists happy but it sure in the heck has a smile on my face every time I pull the trigger.......................John:D

BLS33 12-18-2007 03:21 PM

That is some great accuracy for the price! Did you get the stainless steel model?

zepman 12-18-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLS33 (Post 12782)
That is some great accuracy for the price! Did you get the stainless steel model?

You aint kidding, suprised me and still suprises me. I got the standard blued model..............John:D

RL357Mag 05-04-2008 08:49 PM

I too have been a muzzleloader for about 20 years, and I found the most accurate projectile for my .50 rifle ( CVA Frontier kit) is the Lee R.E.A.L. bullet in 325 gr.. Of course it depends on the rifling twist - 1 in 48" is ideal for connicals. I can hit soda cans at 100 yds. all day. I use FFFg powder however. 60-70 grains. I bought that Frontier Rifle kit back when Service Merchandise was in business in 1989 and it cost $79. What a buy! I aways wanted a Lyman Great Plains...too expensive these days. I would love to buy a .32 Squirrel Rifle but I know of none for under $400 except a Traditions Crockett rifle, and $400 is a bit much.

gunsandoptics.com 08-05-2008 04:43 PM

gunsandoptics.com

I owned a Lyman deerstalker carbine at one time myself and as I recall, it was not only accurate with round balls, but several conicals and some sabots. It has to be a BEST BUT in the mktplace. Dan