Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > My Hunting gear/First Blackpowder hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My Hunting gear/First Blackpowder hunt

I am planning a February/March time frame Boar hunt and I am keeping it simple and somewhat historically accurate(mid 1800's). So here is my "tool" kit .
The Rifle I will use on this hunt is my Lyman 54 Cal "deerstalker". As I have mentioned in other posts this rifle is a tackdriver with both round balls and conicals. My son will be using my T/C 50 Cal "Hawken"(also a great shooting gun).
During my pre hunt scout of the hunting area I will decide if the conditions(Boar size,terrain,etc) will allow for me to make a quick clean kill with round balls as I prefer to hunt with those on this trip but I will also have Hornady "Great Plains" 54 cal, 425 grain hollow base/hollow points and 50 Cal "buffalo" bullets (son) with me if I the situation calls for those.

Backups will be my two CVA 45 Cal pistols I built from kits ( I also built the Hawken).

The "possibles" bag is Buffalo hide with deer antler button and the powder horn is also Buffalo.The small accessory pouch is deerskin.Within it I carry my caps,nipple wrench,spare nipples,prelubed patches, and a powder measure. The "ballbag" is Buffalo hide with a deer antler spout. It is drilled out just large enough for one ball to pass through at a time.Also on hand is my ball starter.
Although I have hunted for 30+years this is my first Blackpowder large game hunt and my sons first ever hunt. This is something I have wamted to do forever and I am really glad my son is going to share it with me( he is 17 and a great shot).
Is there any advice you guys who have Blackpowder hunted have for me as far as equipment is concerned?
Sorry about the picture quality, I took them with my cell phone.

Thanks John

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Make sure you bring a hat so that you can fan the smoke out of the way.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
Make sure you bring a hat so that you can fan the smoke out of the way.
LOL, will do