Muzzleloader Danger - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Muzzleloader Danger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 04:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't think it could happen unless you are doing everything backwards or smoking. The rifle if it is a cap doesn't have a cap on the nipple yet and the hammer is not cocked anyway. The flinter has not got the primer in the pan so I don't see how it could happen. If the powder was going to go off it would go off before you set the roundball. The odds are 99.99999 out of 100 that is aint goin off.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default muzzle loader Danger

If your spooky about loose powder you may want to consider triple seven pellets

Old 04-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #13

Likes Given: 11

I have been reenacting for 20+ years and only had one quick fire and it was when I poured Powder down the tube and there was a live spark in the barrel , that is why you keep it pointed away from you while loading

Old 05-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #14

Actually,a friend of mine experienced this fenomenon when he was ramming the wad down on the powdercharge.He nearly got the ramrod hitting him on the chin.It CAN happen,allthough it is seldom one hear about it happening.I do not know or remember exactly what kind of rifle he was using at the time.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepman View Post
It IS a real possibility and thats why its a good practice NOT to pour powder directly from your flask into the barrel.It is much safer to have 70 grains(from a measure) or so ignite in your hand then a 1/4 pound. I swab my barrel inbetween each shot, one for better accuracy and second to put out any embers that may be lurking. ................John

This is a very good point, and standard procedure for anyone versed in muzzleloading. As far as compression causing an explosion, theoretically it can happen- but practically it can't, not with the amount of pressure generated by the hand - over the years I have observed many old timers "throwing" or "forcibly dropping" the ram rod down the barrel from a distance of about 10" after the ball/bullet has been seated. I have adopted this technique also and it works quite well because the ramrod will not "bounce" back until the ball is fully seated - in other words, if there is no "bounce" then you have not seated the projectile! This technique also keeps your palm and fingers out of the way of the ramrod if the charge DOES ignite!
As concerns hard starting of projectiles, I learned the hard way. I mould my own "REAL" bullets (Rifling Engraved At Loading) and once I melted down a few pounds of wheel weights to be used in my .58 cal. rifle. I spent two hours making BEAUTIFUL 585 gr. Hollow Base Conical bullets. I WAS UNABLE TO START ONE OF THEM DOWN THE BORE! I had to throw them all out because of the alloy composition. Only pure lead works!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
It IS a real possibility and thats why its a good practice NOT to pour powder directly from your flask into the barrel.It is much safer to have 70 grains(from a measure) or so ignite in your hand then a 1/4 pound. I swab my barrel inbetween each shot, one for better accuracy and second to put out any embers that may be lurking. ................John
Do you have any problems with damp powder after swabbing, or do you run a dry patch only down the bore?

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-02-2008 at 12:57 AM.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
"The only thing that has concerned me while loading a muzzleloader, is that the powder could ignite while pouring it in due to burning residue from the previous shot.

I wonder if that's a real possiblility?"

It is highly improbable.
I would guess it happened a lot when the enemy was charging...

Old 05-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

Do you ever have damp powder problems?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I just wait about 30 seconds between shots.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #20

I've been shooten em and been around people shooten um for about 40 years. Never seen this happen. It WILL happen if you pour powder down a nasty, dirty bore that can contain hot embers from the last shot. Wipe your bore regularly with a damp patch and all will be well.

P. S. If you are having to really bang on the ramrod to get the ball/bullet down, you might have a nasty, dirty bore -- or the wrong sized projectile.