Muzzleloader Danger
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Muzzleloader Danger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Muzzleloader Danger

Is there any danger of the muzzle loader going off when you are packing down the gunpowder/ball and stuff really hard with a rod? It seems like compressing the gunpowder can cause it to explode

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2067 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 3105

While working in WV in 1997 i heard a guy at Wheeler Sports in Elkins talking about this. He claimed to have lost a couple of fingers when the gun went off while being loaded. The fingers were gone. Later talked with a guy who knew the amputee. Seems like he capped and cocked the gun before loading it.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #3

Default Nope,

never seen it happen. Don't think it could or would happen. Only way it could possibly happen is if using a steel loading rod and caused a spark, or using a flint tipped ramrod Now, that being said, I'm not saying it hasn't happened or maybe could happen because anything is possible. I Don't think it would and I have seen and put down a lot of BP in my day. Of course when dealing with stupidity, anything is likely to happen and there are some stupid people out there that need to be eliminated from the gene pool. I guess I'm just ramblin' now so just forget about it, it's not going to happen. Just enjoy the smell of the BP. (Don't use the new fangled stuff, smells different )

Old 08-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceCadette View Post
Is there any danger of the muzzle loader going off when you are packing down the gunpowder/ball and stuff really hard with a rod? It seems like compressing the gunpowder can cause it to explode
There's no need to "pack your load really hard" in an ML. More important for consistant velocity and accuracy is consistant ball seating pressure against the powder charge.
Basicly what needs to be done is seat the ball lightly but firmly against the charge, and fine tuning that seating pressure to get the best consistancy of groups possible. IF the patch/ball is not seated on the powder though it then becomes a bore obstruction resulting in a dangerous situation.
If you'r having to work way too hard seating your ball, you need to look at your patch/ball combination or perhaps start wiping the powder fouling out of your barrel more often.
Some shooters wipe every shot, some after multiple shots. find what works best for you.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedpony View Post
There's no need to "pack your load really hard" in an ML. More important for consistant velocity and accuracy is consistant ball seating pressure against the powder charge.
Basicly what needs to be done is seat the ball lightly but firmly against the charge, and fine tuning that seating pressure to get the best consistancy of groups possible. IF the patch/ball is not seated on the powder though it then becomes a bore obstruction resulting in a dangerous situation.
If you'r having to work way too hard seating your ball, you need to look at your patch/ball combination or perhaps start wiping the powder fouling out of your barrel more often.
Some shooters wipe every shot, some after multiple shots. find what works best for you.

Excellent post. +1...................John

Old 12-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #6

The only thing that has concerned me while loading a muzzleloader, is that the powder could ignite while pouring it in due to burning residue from the previous shot.

I wonder if that's a real possiblility?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2067 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 3105

"The only thing that has concerned me while loading a muzzleloader, is that the powder could ignite while pouring it in due to burning residue from the previous shot.

I wonder if that's a real possiblility?"

It is highly improbable.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
The only thing that has concerned me while loading a muzzleloader, is that the powder could ignite while pouring it in due to burning residue from the previous shot.

I wonder if that's a real possiblility?
It IS a real possibility and thats why its a good practice NOT to pour powder directly from your flask into the barrel.It is much safer to have 70 grains(from a measure) or so ignite in your hand then a 1/4 pound. I swab my barrel inbetween each shot, one for better accuracy and second to put out any embers that may be lurking. ................John

Old 12-19-2007, 04:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepman View Post
It IS a real possibility and thats why its a good practice NOT to pour powder directly from your flask into the barrel...
Yeah, I always pour from premeasured speedloaders. There have been a few times where I've seen smoke forced out the nipple when loading the next shot quickly after firing.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #10

Default Carbine

I've never heard of it happening with a handgun or rifle, now a few years ago in the States a guy in a civil war gun team lost his head whilst reloading a fieldgun, they hadn't sponged out well and the powder charge went off.