Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Muzzleloader Danger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/muzzleloader-danger-1424/)

FaceCadette 07-27-2007 03:42 PM

Muzzleloader Danger

Is there any danger of the muzzle loader going off when you are packing down the gunpowder/ball and stuff really hard with a rod? It seems like compressing the gunpowder can cause it to explode

alsaqr 07-27-2007 05:23 PM

While working in WV in 1997 i heard a guy at Wheeler Sports in Elkins talking about this. He claimed to have lost a couple of fingers when the gun went off while being loaded. The fingers were gone. Later talked with a guy who knew the amputee. Seems like he capped and cocked the gun before loading it.

Ed21 07-29-2007 10:53 PM

Nope,

never seen it happen. Don't think it could or would happen. Only way it could possibly happen is if using a steel loading rod and caused a spark, or using a flint tipped ramrod;) Now, that being said, I'm not saying it hasn't happened or maybe could happen because anything is possible. I Don't think it would and I have seen and put down a lot of BP in my day. Of course when dealing with stupidity, anything is likely to happen and there are some stupid people out there that need to be eliminated from the gene pool. I guess I'm just ramblin' now so just forget about it, it's not going to happen. Just enjoy the smell of the BP. (Don't use the new fangled stuff, smells different:eek: )

spottedpony 08-03-2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FaceCadette (Post 5129)
Is there any danger of the muzzle loader going off when you are packing down the gunpowder/ball and stuff really hard with a rod? It seems like compressing the gunpowder can cause it to explode

There's no need to "pack your load really hard" in an ML. More important for consistant velocity and accuracy is consistant ball seating pressure against the powder charge.
Basicly what needs to be done is seat the ball lightly but firmly against the charge, and fine tuning that seating pressure to get the best consistancy of groups possible. IF the patch/ball is not seated on the powder though it then becomes a bore obstruction resulting in a dangerous situation.
If you'r having to work way too hard seating your ball, you need to look at your patch/ball combination or perhaps start wiping the powder fouling out of your barrel more often.
Some shooters wipe every shot, some after multiple shots. find what works best for you.

zepman 12-18-2007 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spottedpony (Post 5616)
There's no need to "pack your load really hard" in an ML. More important for consistant velocity and accuracy is consistant ball seating pressure against the powder charge.
Basicly what needs to be done is seat the ball lightly but firmly against the charge, and fine tuning that seating pressure to get the best consistancy of groups possible. IF the patch/ball is not seated on the powder though it then becomes a bore obstruction resulting in a dangerous situation.
If you'r having to work way too hard seating your ball, you need to look at your patch/ball combination or perhaps start wiping the powder fouling out of your barrel more often.
Some shooters wipe every shot, some after multiple shots. find what works best for you.

Excellent post. +1...................John

Carbine 12-18-2007 07:38 PM

The only thing that has concerned me while loading a muzzleloader, is that the powder could ignite while pouring it in due to burning residue from the previous shot.

I wonder if that's a real possiblility?

alsaqr 12-18-2007 11:31 PM

"The only thing that has concerned me while loading a muzzleloader, is that the powder could ignite while pouring it in due to burning residue from the previous shot.

I wonder if that's a real possiblility?"

It is highly improbable.

zepman 12-18-2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbine (Post 12785)
The only thing that has concerned me while loading a muzzleloader, is that the powder could ignite while pouring it in due to burning residue from the previous shot.

I wonder if that's a real possiblility?

It IS a real possibility and thats why its a good practice NOT to pour powder directly from your flask into the barrel.It is much safer to have 70 grains(from a measure) or so ignite in your hand then a 1/4 pound. I swab my barrel inbetween each shot, one for better accuracy and second to put out any embers that may be lurking.:) ................John

Carbine 12-19-2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zepman (Post 12798)
It IS a real possibility and thats why its a good practice NOT to pour powder directly from your flask into the barrel...

Yeah, I always pour from premeasured speedloaders. There have been a few times where I've seen smoke forced out the nipple when loading the next shot quickly after firing.

Boris 12-20-2007 12:51 PM

Carbine

I've never heard of it happening with a handgun or rifle, now a few years ago in the States a guy in a civil war gun team lost his head whilst reloading a fieldgun, they hadn't sponged out well and the powder charge went off.