Musket made of parts from different guns
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Musket made of parts from different guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Musket made of parts from different guns

I have a musket that appears to composed of parts from different guns, and I am looking for information on the parts. I am pretty sure the stock is from a US Model 1816 Musket, but I am looking for information on the lock and the barrel.

The lock is a would-be Tower lock: it has the word "Tower" and the crown in the right places, but lacks the year and the monarch's initials. Inside, it appears to have the letter “D” on the mainspring.

The barrel has the initials "N J" on the side opposite the lock. On the bottom, I found the marks "6⁰ N 10" grouped together at one spot, and the single letter "S" at another spot. The barrel has a production year on top, in the breech area. It appears to be 1801, but the third digit in the year is gouged and difficult to read. A little farther forward on the top of the barrel, I found some initials, but they are very difficult to read. I think the initials consist of one or two letters followed by “& P” (or maybe “& D”).

The ramrod, which appears to be from yet another gun, has the numbers “5 5” and small crown on it.

I have been told that the "N J" on the barrel probably refers to the New Jersey militia. (The musket was found in a house in New City, NY.)

I have attached some pictures of the gun and the parts. I would appreciate any information that anyone can provide to help me identify the origin of the musket’s parts. Thanks very much.

dsc054630001.jpg   dsc054650003.jpg   dsc054870025.jpg   dsc056050009.jpg   dsc056100013.jpg  

dsc056190019.jpg   dsc056200020.jpg   dsc056210021.jpg   dsc056220022.jpg   dsc056230023.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7629 Times on 3901 Posts
Likes Given: 8618

Wow, great snag, I bet that could tell a few stories about its guardians if it had a mouth. The Lockplate is British in origin, "London Tower approved) even if it never spent a minute in the tower. The plates were often sold by themselves and some ive seen online with that plate go $7K in auction (A bit more ornate and much better shape). Its not odd to see composite weapons of various era's even. It cost much less to repair an old weapon than make a new one and Parts is parts! Looks like its had a rough life, its probably an expensive wall hanger at best but a sharp looker! I would have it checked out, you never know what you have until you know for sure.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks very much for the information. This gun certainly has had a rough life, and could tell some stories. Someone hand-carved "1827 US" on the stock, but I do not know whether the carver was the same person who assembled the gun in its present form.

Thanks again for your reply.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6464 Times on 3434 Posts
Likes Given: 482

None of these old guns are safe to fire with any charge. What you see on shows on tv when morons fire these to "test" them they are using tiny charges of flaspowder at the tip of the muzzle using electric ignition and lots of fancy editing for tv.

You never know what has collector value and what doesn't with these old guns. Sometimes with these things the parts can be much more valuable than the whole and you need someone that is very much an expert on old muskets. With old muskets actual firing of them adds zero value and can turn a valuable relic into worthless junk since collectors want them unmessed with. Firing actual collector muskets is the same as grinding the patina off, destroys the value

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 12-30-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I am wary of trying to fire this gun. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have decided to sell this musket. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks.

Last edited by Lockplate; 01-18-2014 at 10:39 PM.