Musket ball??? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Musket ball???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
ummm, a musket ball is a round ball. A minie ball is a hollow based bullet.
what i meant to say was the ones during the civl war period but failed to, yes they were round and were shot from smooth bores during thier time period. i sometimes forget that there are some oldtimers still around that do shoot traditionally and not with those inlines. i myself am a flintlock smooth bore person.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #12

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
what i meant to say was the ones during the civl war period but failed to, yes they were round and were shot from smooth bores during thier time period. i sometimes forget that there are some oldtimers still around that do shoot traditionally and not with those inlines. i myself am a flintlock smooth bore person.
They were used before and beyond the C.W. period in rifled barrels. I use them in my custom Hawken. A lot of the traditional rifles have rifling that wont work well with anything but round balls.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #13

i have never heard a round ball that is used in a slow twist round ball barell referred to as a musket ball, a round ball yes a musket ball no, terminology sucks at times. my hawkens are all 1 in 66 twist and my flintlers other than my hawkin 54 are smoothbore 1750's era fowlers.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #14

Quote:
i have never heard a round ball that is used in a slow twist round ball barell referred to as a musket ball, a round ball yes a musket ball no, terminology sucks at times. my hawkens are all 1 in 66 twist and my flintlers other than my hawkin 54 are smoothbore 1750's era fowlers.
Round ball or more commonly PRB is a relatively modern term. What kind of hawken's do you have?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #15

one hawkin is an old t/c i bought whe they came out in 45 percussion, about ten years ago i put a slow twist 54 on it, the other is a lyman flint with a slow twist. i also have a custom 62 caliber flint fowler, and the other one which istyled after the canoe guns i built, ita a 62 flinter also. ive had others but i got rid of them to finance another project at the time.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #16

Quote:
one hawkin is an old t/c i bought whe they came out in 45 percussion, about ten years ago i put a slow twist 54 on it, the other is a lyman flint with a slow twist. i also have a custom 62 caliber flint fowler, and the other one which istyled after the canoe guns i built, ita a 62 flinter also. ive had others but i got rid of them to finance another project at the time.
Cool. I only have the one but it was blueprinted off an original