Is this musket any good?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Is this musket any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is this musket any good?

I have .50 cal caplock musket that was made in Italy behind the back sight it says ranson italia spa and has the serial number 15296 can be seen on the left side of the lock any information regarding this musket would be greatly appreciatEd thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2009, 03:04 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

How about some pictures? Is it rifled? What brand? There are lots of good rifles being made in Italy. What is the condition of the bore?

Post some pictures so we know what we are talking about here.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:13 AM   #3

I would love to post pictures but I can't the bore is rifled and seems to be in fine condition I can't tell you who made it since all that's on the barell is the words ranson italia spa the overall condition of the gun is about 85 percent I'd say

Old 12-26-2009, 03:21 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Search for pictures of an 1863 Remington Zouave rifle and see if it looks like that. If it is, the Zouave is a good shooter if it is in safe condition. You ought to have the musket checked out by a reputable gunsmith.

Some imported Zouaves were marked as you say.

But, without pictures, we are just stabbing in the dark. Also, if it is a Zouave, then it is likely a .58 caliber.

Last edited by W. C. Quantrill; 12-26-2009 at 03:28 AM.