Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Miroku .45 kentucky rifle Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Miroku .45 kentucky rifle Q's

Ok so had a good friend of mine that had a closet treasure of a Japanese Miroku Kentucky style rifle in .45 that he just let sit for years (how sad). I bought it off him for $60 bucks, which leads to first question...... Is this a reasonable price for this recreation of a cool piece of American History? Supprisingly it was not in bad shape at all. some very minor rust spots on the barrel that came off with just a little oil and rag. The barrel was in supprisingly good shape. I did a good hot water and soap wash with a good rinse off and then a solvent cleaning and that barrel came out clean and bright. My main question here is pertaining to maximum theoretical powder load. I shot 60grn. ffg pyrodex out to about 40yds supprisingly accurate a few times, then got a little brave and tried an 80grn. load out to 40yds again quite safely with not catastrophic failure of course (obviously since i'm using both hands to type). I have read very little on any thread about powder charges in almost any .45 cal rifle, yet alone a kentucky style. I know that .50 to .58 are the most popular of any style of BP firearm, I'm sure leading to the small ammount of information on the .45 cal. I plan on using this rifle primarily for BP deer season where I live, however it would be nice to know the safe limits of powder charge for some fun target practice at a long distance range.

I appreciate any input any of you can give on this matter. And cant wait to read and learn more about my rifle.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #2

Liked 72 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 28

First of all it's not a recreation of anything, just a general style with a short barrel. 60 bucks is a decent price not great but decent. 60-90 grains is normal. You're not going to have catastrophic failure with too much, just spewing a lot of unburned powder out the muzzle.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 06-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Agree with what he said up there^^^^. So long as (a) you stick to black powder or a BP subsitute, like Pyrodex, and (b) NEVER fire without the bullet being fully seated against the powder charge, you will not hurt it.

ROUGH rule of thumb- 150-200% of the bore diameter in a RIFLE equals powder chage. In other words- 60-90 grains for a .45. Mostest is not always bestest.

PS- there are two kinds of muzzleloading shooters- those that HAVE forgotten to load powder before ball, and those that WILL forget.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.