Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Military Channel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
KAB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Military Channel

Not sure if anyone watches the Military Channel here ?
Did you guys catch the episode of the 1911 Colt ?
Did you watch the episode of the evolution of the handguns they used up to the current Barreta 9mm ?
They started with a cool Wheel-Lock , then Flint-lock , the Colt Patterson percusion revolver , and John Brownings designed 1911 Colt .

The Moral of this story , ( and listen closely Hockalouis ) , the Flinter was slower and less effcient than the Wheel-Lock which came out much earlier . Surprised me too , especially since I thought progress in firearms was actually supposed to be going forward not backwards ? And that going backwards lasted many many many many years untill the percussion cap rifles and pistols were created .
Amazing how many people hold onto antiqued old ideas out of spite and pride rather than common sence .
In my part of the country we see 267 days average of rain and humidity . Too me a Flintlock is a pain for this reason . Hence the use of percussion capped guns for me .
Now to find some decent over the counter caps ?
My time is far too valuable to be punching one cap at a time with a tap-o-cap then filling each one with pow pow ?
I know for me , my anscestors used thier FLINT to cut off thier tails eventually and evolve , and I think I will follow the same and use some superior designs in my life like the percussion cap that I know is more reliable and faster than a Wheelock or Flintlock .
I might someday buy a Modern gun too with them new fangled cartridge doohickkies they put in um if I am feelin frisky

So seriously though , any real CAP help out there from anyone that can keep from alienating all shooters other than Flinters ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

KAB;
I don't study arms on TV but that that's not news to me in any case. Your mass-produced revolvers are purty but I shoot and teach with a matched pair of wheelocks. I know when, where and why such were used, as well as when they weren't. Hand gonne's, matchlocks, snaphaunce's, the kind of more traditional off-the-rack flintlocks you are familiar with, tapeprimed, caplocks, big-bore rimfire's... LOL

Last edited by HockaLouis; 02-16-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
KAB

Default I feel so schooled now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
KAB;
I don't study arms on TV but that that's not news to me in any case. Your mass-produced revolvers are purty but I shoot and teach with a matched pair of wheelocks. I know when, where and why such were used, as well as when they weren't. Hand gonne's, matchlocks, snaphaunce's, the kind of more traditional off-the-rack flintlocks you are familiar with, tapeprimed, caplocks, big-bore rimfire's... LOL
Wow, what would I do without you around to school me in guns ?
Obviously , not knowing why the cap and ball revolver throws flame , your studdies may be lacking , just sayin
I think The History of the Gun would be a good TV series for you to watch .