Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Matching performance of smokeless powder with a black powder shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/matching-performance-smokeless-powder-black-powder-shotgun-63165/)

Scratchammo 04-24-2012 04:57 AM

Matching performance of smokeless powder with a black powder shotgun
 
Most standard buckshot rounds have a stated velocity of 1325 fps. How many grains of Pyrodex RS is needed to match that firing 9 00 buck pellets? This is for a percussion coach gun. Thanks in advance.

mountainman13 04-24-2012 05:35 AM

Assuming its a 12 gauge. 82 grains of ffg should give you around 1035 fps assuming my guess of approximately 1.25 oz of shot.
I don't use pyrodex but its supposed to be equivalent.
I would venture to guess that 90 grains would put you right were you want to be. But wait for verification from someone who uses pyrodex.

Scratchammo 04-24-2012 05:41 AM

Correct, it's a 12. So 90 would get it near the 1200-1300 range?

mountainman13 04-24-2012 05:44 AM

I think 90 would be pretty close

mountainman13 04-24-2012 05:45 AM

You could probably break it down by weighing out the shot and comparing it to something of relative weight with known ballistics.

Scratchammo 04-24-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 780410)
You could probably break it down by weighing out the shot and comparing it to something of relative weight with known ballistics.

Found it: http://www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com/articles/muzzleloadingshotgunvelocities

http://www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com/articles/muzzleloadingpropellantsblackpowdersubsitutes
Nine pellets of 00 buck would weigh a little over an ounce so I think 4 drams would get me close.

W. C. Quantrill 06-16-2012 03:40 PM

You might want to work that up, and pattern it. Sometimes BP works different and you can end up blowing donuts. Start out at about 80 grains and play with them so that you get a good pattern along with your energy. If it will take 90 grains and still hold a pattern then you will be in like Herman the burglar.

Scratchammo 07-16-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill (Post 838203)
You might want to work that up, and pattern it. Sometimes BP works different and you can end up blowing donuts. Start out at about 80 grains and play with them so that you get a good pattern along with your energy. If it will take 90 grains and still hold a pattern then you will be in like Herman the burglar.

Sounds like a plan.

sniper762 07-16-2012 05:12 PM

i always used 110 grs. of ffg behind 9-00bucks in my 12g and 10g

Scratchammo 07-16-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762 (Post 871628)
i always used 110 grs. of ffg behind 9-00bucks in my 12g and 10g

How does the recoil compare smokeless shells?


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.