Make yer own blackpowder - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Make yer own blackpowder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2250 Times on 1224 Posts
Likes Given: 3512

"Well, I can only speak for myself, but as long as they have butter on the shelves at the grocery store, I see no need to buy a cow and a churn and make it myself--and I don't even have to worry that the cow might blow up and kill me."

Very good point. Made a lot of the stuff for bomb disposal classes and for the heck of it over a period of 25 years. i was making a batch for a bomb disposal class. It flashed and i got burned: No more for me.

There is the possibility that the nosey neighbors will call the cops and tell them about the kooky guy next door making all kinds of stinking chemical stuff. The cops raid the place and the media makes a video of the "terrorist" and his handy work.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18 View Post
Well, I can only speak for myself, but as long as they have butter on the shelves at the grocery store, I see no need to buy a cow and a churn and make it myself--and I don't even have to worry that the cow might blow up and kill me.

But whatever floats your boat... Just make sure your family isn't in the room while you're experimenting, though, OK?
Fine, so now we know that you are not interested in the subject.

But this is a thread about the subject, so for those of us who do have an interest in antique technology and wish to learn how to be safe, this would be the right place to discuss it.

The problem of flashing is due to grinding and mixing the ingredients with anything made of metal or other materials that may spark when subjected to compression.

Last edited by pagliacci; 09-20-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #13

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Excuse me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagliacci View Post
Fine, so now we know that you are not interested in the subject.

But this is a thread about the subject, so for those of us who do have an interest in antique technology and wish to learn how to be safe, this would be the right place to discuss it.
(1) If you'll notice, I posted to this thread three times. I AM interested.

(2) Advising against an activity IS discussing it.

(3) Virtually every other poster on this thread also advised against it. Why is your post directed at only me?

(4) This thread has been inactive for more than a month. Why would you resurrect it now just to take a shot at me?

(5) In general, I will post what I like wherever I care to post it.

(6) You are also free to post as you wish; but don't be surprised if an unwarranted criticism meets with objections, as here.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #14

It is not only dangerous but the jackboots from the ATF might get interested.

Member GCO

Old 09-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #15

I was talking with my pals 'Lefty' and 'One Eye Pete' just the other day about the good old days of making our own bp

Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Used to make it all the time as a kid. By volume it is 75% saltpeter, 15% charcoal, and 10% sulfur. As robo mentioned, you need to be very careful about static electricity and heat from friction. You do it right and it can be used in muzzle loaders.

The law has probably changed since I was a kid. Since black powder is a true explosive, and not an accellerant like nitrocellulose gunpowders, it is probably regulated. You would probably be well served to contact the appropriate government agency to find out the legality of rolling your own.
re charcoal-- I think that is the crucial element. some say it should be only from a certain type of wood (old?). You would have to make the charcoal and construct a special furnace for it.

re regulation-- you can buy it with no i.d. check and no registration in California, and that is one of the toughest gun control states in the union.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try looking here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_powder#Black_powder