Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Looking for a Revolutionary or Civil War era Musket.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 18

most gun oil is petroleum based low viscosity distillate

No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Last edited by St8LineGunsmith; 07-20-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #22

Liked 62 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by St8LineGunsmith View Post

most gun oil is petroleum based low viscosity distillate
You don't use gun oil on a bp firearm. You use vegetable based oils like olive oil or some of the specialized oils made for bp firearms. Regular gun oils are ok in a rifle lock or the action of a revolver but not in the bore or chambers. Black powder fouling and petro based oils do not mix. It makes a tarry residue that neither water or smokeless solvents will remove.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #23
10-32

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Clp works just fine.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #24

you may not use gun oil on your BP rifles but most other people do and without any ill effects

I always swab out the barrel before inserting a powder charge and I use bore butter on my patches but I always put a coat marvel mystery oil on the metal parts and inside the barrel as a rust preventativeafter cleaning and I clean my bp firearms every time I shoot them.

YMMV

NRA
GOA

Old 07-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #25

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Just use linseed oil on your stock please. Boiled if ya don't wanna wait too long to have it dry... Sweet, or Olive, Oil and whale oil were often used on the metal but the first is not pH neutral or clean and we ran outta whales -- besides, they're big and hard to squeeze. There were alot of other concoctions (sometimes including beeswax) I actually wrote an article on once but it'd be overkill here. Use a modern petroleum distillate (even petrolatum) or silicon which I particularly like around the hot lock and vent areas.

One of the non-compressible automatic transmission fluids is essentially whale oil, so I'm told, and they even add a rust inhibitor. Sounds perfect, right? I won't tell you which one though because it stinks literally and figuratively based on personal experience. One time, on a newly red-oiled Bess in high humidity, I watched water vapor condense on the barrel in-the-white and as it formed droplets they ran dark rust brown down the length! I was sick. One of the better-known semi-custom rifle shops uses it they say (I know they don't now, if they ever did) and swore by it including professing they save hundreds of dollars a year using it! I swear at it and swore off of it pretty quickly.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 07-21-2012 at 01:41 AM.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #26
10-32

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Boiled linseed is authentic but not a very good protectant.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1286 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 3195

Cheap olive oil, huh? I think that I will practice on a piece of scrap wood before I decide to used this on a $500.00 plus replica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc29th View Post
They used cheap olive oil for protecting and cleaning their muskets. And boiling water down the barrel to remove the fouling.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #28

I do not intend on shooting it. I am looking for a fully functional display item. BTW, what does "PITA" mean in relation to a cleaning job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
If you plan on shooting it do not put modern petroleum based oil down the bore without cleaning it out before firing. Not unless you want to turn an easy cleaning job into a PITA.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
I do not intend on shooting it. I am looking for a fully functional display item. BTW, what does "PITA" mean in relation to a cleaning job?
just use gun oil and PITA refserrs to Pain In The Ass

NRA
GOA

Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #30

I think that I will go with the Linseed oil. As I understand it, it was used on WWI and WWII weapons, so I cannot see a problem using it on a replica of a Revolutionary or Civil weapon. Besides, I am almost certain that I will not find any whales in or around the Gulf Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Just use linseed oil on your stock please. Boiled if ya don't wanna wait too long to have it dry... Sweet, or Olive, Oil and whale oil were often used on the metal but the first is not pH neutral or clean and we ran outta whales -- besides, they're big and hard to squeeze. There were alot of other concoctions (sometimes including beeswax) I actually wrote an article on once but it'd be overkill here. Use a modern petroleum distillate (even petrolatum) or silicon which I particularly like around the hot lock and vent areas.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur