Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Looking for a front stuffer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Default Looking for a front stuffer?

Ok they opened up a nice early and late season for front stuffers this season on Deer here in VA. SO now I just have to add a front stuffer to the safe.

I am looking for a easy to shoot and easy to clean rifle that will wear open sights only (FOR NOW). I am looking to spend $300 or less total on everything I need.

I have seen some $200 CVA kits in Gander. All I would need to add is primers and powder.

Everything I am seeing is 209 primers thats cool. The CVA kits come with power belt bullets how good are these? I am looking at Switching to Hornady or barns MZ bullets. What is a better product Hornady 777 pellets or Pyrodex pellets.

Lets hear the beef on front stuffers.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm interested in the results from this as well. I could see myself making a similar purchase later in the year.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-22-2010, 04:25 AM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, I’m going to show my ignorance here.. Tango are you talking about black power season?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Tango, any in-line muzzleloader that uses the 209 primers will do the task. There is not much difference in the Triple7 or the Pyrodex pellets. Bullets...meh. All the ones you listed are more than capable of doing the job on deer. Most kits come with some really heavy bullets. 200 to 240 grain conicals with sabots is more than enough for hunting whitetail, even the big ones we have here in southern Ohio. The biggest deer I ever killed was with 100 grains of powder and a 220 grain Vital-Shok bullet. Poly tip, copper wrapped lead.

Make of gun? Well, there are those that cost a bundle that are easy to clean and have all the bells and whistles. CVA makes 'good enough' muzzlelaoding rifles, but you may have to work a bit for cleaning. We are talking about one shot and one kill as usual with hunting. They are accurate enough and durable enough.

Make sure the gun can handle at least 130 grains of powder. Make sure that the gun is a 'water proof' set up. Make sure it is .50 cal (.45 is fine, but why go .45 when you can go .50?) Most in-lines can handle 150 grains of powder and about as heavy as a bullet you want. I have some lead casts that are over 400 grains. I don't use them.

Ok, the summary:

CVA is good to go. At least 90 grains of powder and a heavy fancy bullet is not needed. Power Belts are great, but opt down to around 200-240 grains. PM me if you have questions. I know you are not looking to get out to 200+ yards where you ae. Otherwise, that is a different story.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you want easy to clean-stay away from Pyrodex. 777 is easier to clean AND won't build up fouling like Pyrodex. Since I'm an accuracy freak I use loose powder and quick loaders. The loose powder I use is Jim Shockey Select (American Pioneer Powder). It produces 0 fouling buildup, consistent velocity, and excellent accuracy. With loose powder you can reload just as fast with quick loaders and, more importantly, tune your charge to attain maximum accuracy-just like in reloading.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5645 Times on 3319 Posts
Likes Given: 4756

You guys know i don't know much about BP or much of anything useful, but i do enjoy watching the clearance items at different websites: Traditions Performance Firearms

" YUKON FEATURES:

•Barrel: 24” Alloy with PAS (Projectile Alignment System)

•Ignition: 209 Primer & 150 gr Magnum Charge Capability

•Finish: Nickel Barrel with Mossy Oak Break Up Synthetic Stock

•Warranty: Limited Lifetime " & it's a .50 caliber for $150.

Comes with a free soft case or something. KILL more jaywalkers.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 07-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #7

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Not a BP guy either but these look like reasonable prices to me.

Traditions RS44003470 TRACKER 209 REDI-PAK $180.00 SHIPS FREE

Muzzleloaders for Sale at BudsGunShop

Forgot to mention earlier, either American Rifleman or Guns and Ammo has quite a few pages on BP in the current issue. PM me with mailing info if interested and I'll send the magazine to you.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 07-23-2010 at 03:44 AM.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Scubie yes I am talking about a new muzzle loader season.

I don't know about 200 yards. One place I hunt has the ability to offer shots that far. If I am taking a 200 yard shot I want my trusty 30-06. I got a few spots that are rifle, one is only 1 week *COUGH* I may have to take a sick day or two that week.

Last edited by cpttango30; 07-23-2010 at 02:30 PM.