Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Loading blanks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/loading-blanks-84729/)

twitch 02-21-2013 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How would you load blanks In a black powder revolver,also I heard different answers on what size ball to use in a 44.its just an inexpensive one ,I can't remember the model but its got the hardend frame.i just got it back out after about 13 years.just needs cleaned up a little.you all use any particular cleaners.also I've got #10 and#11 nipples is o e better than the other.also the powder I have is about 12 years old ,think its any good.its to dam cold to go out and shoot right now.

thdrduck 02-21-2013 08:48 PM

Most use a .451 ball. I have shot blanks out of a single shot, but not a revolver. Instead of putting in a ball I tamped a wad of kleenex or toilet paper on top the powder. Number 11 caps are more common then 10's thus easier to find.

cgersty 02-23-2013 01:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Kinda looks like my 1860 army, mine shoots the .454 balls the best, it shaves the little ring of lead off, I clean mine with hot soapy water, and keep it lubed up with some blackpowder patch lube, I use #11 magnum I think they are musket caps, and I've never shot blank loads out of mine, and I'm curious how and what works the best on them as well.

Attachment 87064

Attachment 87065

c3shooter 02-23-2013 04:23 AM

As said- the correct sized ball will be slightly oversized, and will trim itself to fit when loading.

Re: Blank loads- there is a better than even chance you will experience a chain fire from those. Bad ju-ju.

Cleanup? Hot water, Dawn dish detergent.

thdrduck 02-23-2013 10:48 PM

What makes you say that they would increase the chance of a chain fire? If you lubed the kleenex or toilet paper, why would they any more prone then a ball? wondering.

cgersty 02-23-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thdrduck (Post 1150771)
What makes you say that they would increase the chance of a chain fire? If you lubed the kleenex or toilet paper, why would they any more prone then a ball? wondering.

I was wondering the same thing, you could use a lubed wad too and grease the cylinders, dont see what would be different than regular loads?

thdrduck 02-23-2013 11:06 PM

And... just load 10 gr of power in each and if it did a chain fire, so what, they are blanks. Guess who is loading blanks in his remington as soon as my bullet mold shows up (don't want to clean it twice just to play with blanks).

cgersty 02-23-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thdrduck (Post 1150797)
And... just load 10 gr of power in each and if it did a chain fire, so what, they are blanks. Guess who is loading blanks in his remington as soon as my bullet mold shows up (don't want to clean it twice just to play with blanks).

I may get mine out and walk down to the creek tomorrow and shoot some and some lead balls, it is so fun to shoot, but ya almost gotta shoot quite a bit through it to make up for the chore of cleaning it!

cgersty 02-24-2013 12:06 AM

There is a YouTube video entitled loading cap and ball revolvers blanks, check it out, its pretty cool!