Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Leman lancaster pa. rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/leman-lancaster-pa-rifle-74139/)

g24t 10-11-2012 06:59 PM

Leman lancaster pa. rifle

;)just bought a Leman rifle, its looks to be a 54 cal. Its stock is tiger stripped, including the rod. It has a full stock, two triggers, all brass funiture and is in about 70% condition. The stock has a patch box and there is also a check rest. On the barrel is the intials, L.M and S.I.S the rifling is great, it is like six sided. Anybody know what I have here? Its a very long and heavy rifle. Its original.

G24t

g24t 10-11-2012 07:18 PM

7 Attachment(s)
photos of the Leman Rifle.

g24t 10-12-2012 01:37 PM

I thought is was a 54 cal. but now believe its a 45 cal. just wondering what it is and what is approx. value is.
Thanks
g24t

Garadex 10-12-2012 06:35 PM

Holy buttstock! That's a lot of drop in the comb and a crazy looking butt "pad" looks too painful to shoot.

nitestalker 10-12-2012 07:54 PM

This appears to be a later Pre Civil War rifle. Is the barrel swamped or does it have taper? From what I can see from your photo it looks like a rifle made up from parts. The Perc lock plate is not a flint conv. but the barrel with drum maybe. It has the late cap box and nice stock work from what I can see. Just not enough here to give you a good answer.

g24t 10-12-2012 11:42 PM

I hate to ask but what does swamped mean? Thanks g24t., I am a ww2 collector who sold 95% of my collection due to the current presidents policys.

nitestalker 10-13-2012 01:11 AM

The early barrels say prior to 1812 were hand forged. During the forging of the laps around the mandril the barrel would be larger at the breech and muzzle and narrow thru the length of the barrel.

The later barrels were hammer mill forged mass produced by firms like E. Remington & Sons. These barrels had the straight walls like the modern barrels of today. This occured about the same time the Perc. cap was the favored form of ignition.

The rifle you have appears to be a straight wall and small caliber under .50 caliber. The cap box, lock plate and small caliber places it between say 1820 and 1860. The hardware butt plate, trigger guard and lock look like imports. This is proper to the late period. Gun smith like today ordered ready made parts and produced a rifle.

This rifle from your pictures looks more like a late Southern Mtn Rifle. The low comb and drop of heel to the high breech angle and well curved butt plate. The curved butt plate is to fit the upper bicept of the arm not the shoulder. This allowed the shooter to keep the most of the body mass hidden when shooting.:)

g24t 10-13-2012 02:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
new photos i hope they work

g24t 10-13-2012 02:59 AM

barrel is 40 inches and straight

nitestalker 10-13-2012 03:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is one of my SMR Rifles[Southern Mtn Rifle]. This is an example of an East Tenn. circa 1812. Note the comb and drop to heel cresent steel butt. This is very much like your rifle. The Lancaster {KY} is much different. Your rifle looks like it is in fine condition. :)